Question Is my GPU dead?

Cal9099

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
  • Processor (CPU): Intel i7-4770K
  • Graphics Card (GPU): GTX780 (& Intel HD Graphics 4600)
  • Motherboard: G1 Sniper Z87
  • RAM: 24GB DDR3
  • Power Supply (PSU): Corsair RM650
Earlier on out of nowhere both my PC screens went black (can't recall if audio was working or not) but the PC was still running. I hard reset it and only one screen was working on reboot and the resolution had been lowered, a sign that the integrated graphics card had taken over.
Sure enough I now have a ! (error code 43) by my GTX 780 on device manager. I've tried messing with driver updates and it's sporadically removed the ! from device manager but the second screen never came back and the ! is back on the device manager. GPU-Z also says 0MB for memory size and unknown bandwith.

The combination of the GPU-Z data and the error code suggest to me the GPU is finished, but I'm not a tech wizz, so could someone confirm?
What I don't understand is why one of my screens is working despite both being connected to my GPU (one via HDMI and one via HDMI to DVI)

Thanks!

Last edited:
My gut is telling me that your card is dead. It is a GTX 780 after all and if you've been using it all these years, it has given you good service and has probably decided that it's time to retire. I mean, you've used it for eleven years and that's actually quite impressive longevity for a card that gets used every day. Most high-end cards can only endure 6-8 years of constant use. Of course, they don't really need to last longer than that because people usually upgrade them before that (which is why the used market thrives).

I would say that a good bet for you would be to pick-up an RX 5700 XT for about $135.

The RX 5700 XT is 138% faster than the GTX 780 so you'll be blown away by its performance. You wouldn't even have to worry about power draw because the GTX 780 has a TDP of 250W while the RX 5700 XT has a TDP of 225W.

The RX 5700 XT will play all modern titles at 1080p and is even more potent than the best-value new card out there, the RX 6600. I actually own one myself (an XFX THICC-III model) and so I know first-hand just how good the RX 5700 XT is.

I may have since moved on to an RX 6800 XT and now and RX 7900 XTX, but I still have my RX 5700 XT. It's the card that kept me sane during the pandemic as it's the card that I principally played AC:Odyssey on.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX