Is my GPU too hot?

Borninawasteland

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
I Have an EVGA Geforce GT 610, and stress testing it, it goes from idle 45-50 degrees Celsius, to 80-85 and i close the software before it gets any higher, is that temp bad for this GPU? its single fan, and i've installed a chassis fan in the case to try aid with cooling but it doesn't seem to do anything. I know its a cheap pathetic GPU but its got to do me until i can get a better one with better cooling.

Solution
Try using a program like MSI Afterburner. You can create fan profiles that will allow you to set fan speeds based on temperatures. I use this MSI software with my Sapphire GPU.

As for temps, they are high but not dangerous. Personally, I won't ever let mine break 75C although I know it can. I prefer my fans kicking in more to do so. At most my fans run 75%.
Try using a program like MSI Afterburner. You can create fan profiles that will allow you to set fan speeds based on temperatures. I use this MSI software with my Sapphire GPU.

As for temps, they are high but not dangerous. Personally, I won't ever let mine break 75C although I know it can. I prefer my fans kicking in more to do so. At most my fans run 75%.

Solution

Borninawasteland

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
I Have EVGA PrecisionX 16, which is used to create fan profiles. so ill give that a bash.
Im not too keen on mine even being above 70C... this is the first time ive seen it above that. i thought over 50 was dangerous..

That seems high but it could be cuz of fan speeds. I can't be for sure though. Also, have you blown the dust off of it?

Dangerous is when temps are over 90C. But most don't let them break 80C.

Borninawasteland

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
Okay, im having even more problems now.
updated to windows 10. so now i cant use speccy. and stress testing my GPU (after putting new thermal compound on it, cos the old stuff was horrible looking and clearly wasnt applied properly since it was covering the chip, and half of the outer area), since i put new thermal compound the temps have shot up to 95 and i panic and turn it off before it gets higher..
ive installed a new fan to my case to aid with cooling but it doesnt help.

MultiCofy

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Sound like you didn't apply the thermal paste correctly - you either applied too much or too little paste or you just didn't sit the heatsink correctly. Try looking up a guide online on how to properly apply thermal compound on a GPU/CPU and try again.

Borninawasteland

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
I done it to the gpu and my cpu, and the cpu is fine.
i put a pea sized dot on it, and before i cleaned it up, it was a mess from factory new, the compound was everywhere and looked as though it wasnt put on properly, but i cleaned it all up, put the compound back on it, refit the fan, then took it off again to check the compound and it looked fine to me?

MultiCofy

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

As I said, it's most likely a scenario of not sitting the heatsink back properly - I suggest trying it again.

Remove the heatsink, remove the thermal compound entirely, get some alcohol (preferably Isopropyl) and a cloth that doesn't leave behind much residue (like the cloth you use for cleaning glasses), clean it out nicely (if there's any hardened paste, use something like a credit card to scrape it off) and wait like 5 minutes for alcohol to evaporate - then properly seat the heatsink back on and press down so that the paste spreads evenly across the chip.