[SOLVED] Is my graphics card still relevant?

jwcrellin

Reputable
I have a Ryzen 7 3700X and my GPU is a GTX 1070FE that I bought at launch 4-5 years ago, back when I had a i5 6600k. Back then I played a LOT of Battlefield 1 and Skyrim.

I am looking at the RTX 3070 or 3080. I am planning on getting the new Call of Duty: Cold War and Cyberpunk 2077 next month. After the Radeon VIIand Vega 64 i've lost faith that RDNA2/Big Navi will be as powerful as Nvidia's top cards.

Should I upgrade now since it's been 2 generations?

Solution
This is completely down to you.

There are people who upgrade every generation, and some that don't.
Is it still relevant? Absolutely. I'm still running a 1060 6G @ 1080p and it's not a problem at all. I will probably upgrade in a few months however.

So all in all, it's down to what is currently holding you back and what you want to achieve. If what you have is currently performing in the way that you want to it, there is no reason or need to upgrade. Wait until something holds you back, then upgrade when needed IMO.

People still aren't likely to get hold of a 3070/3080 incredibly easily at the moment still regardless (depending on location of course).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is completely down to you.

There are people who upgrade every generation, and some that don't.
Is it still relevant? Absolutely. I'm still running a 1060 6G @ 1080p and it's not a problem at all. I will probably upgrade in a few months however.

So all in all, it's down to what is currently holding you back and what you want to achieve. If what you have is currently performing in the way that you want to it, there is no reason or need to upgrade. Wait until something holds you back, then upgrade when needed IMO.

People still aren't likely to get hold of a 3070/3080 incredibly easily at the moment still regardless (depending on location of course).

Solution
jwcrellin If you play CoD MW @ 1440 144 Hz ultra settings, then yes you'll want to upgrade, as I'm sure that Cold War system requirements will likely be greater. As for Cyberpunk the posted requirement are modest, but there is no mention of what resolution and frame rate those specs will achieve. We might have to wait for the game release to know for certain, but I suspect that it'll be demanding.

Addendum: After replying, I noticed your 360 rad EK loop. If your GPU is included in loop then you may want to hold off on upgrading until after the release of those two games. I'd have for you to go through the trouble of disassembling your custom loop, when it may not absolutely be necessary.

Reactions: jwcrellin

jwcrellin

Reputable
According to youtube experts, the 2080ti gets about 30% higher fps than the gtx1070. RTX 3070 and 3080 are decently above the 2080ti.
So buying either one of the new Nvidia cards should move me from 69-70fps to 100+. I think that would be a much nicer experience.

Reactions: rcald2000