Is my Graphics card too hot?

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
So as of late I have been thinking about my laptop graphic card's temperature. I own a asus g60vx laptop with a gtx 260m in it. I have a gadget that measures how much of my gpu is being used and what temperature it is at and it seems like under Idle temperature it is at around 145-160 degrees fahrenhieght, as for when I game, i have no idea as I have not even looked at the temperature after gaming. So Is that bad? What is a normal temperature range for a high end gpu like mine? And what should I do to try and the the temperature down? Thanks!

Solution
Try to use celcius.So your idle temps are around 60c.Thats not good but i suppose it's normal for a laptop,laptops have never had really good cooling.As long as the temps don't exceed 100c you shouldn't worry.
Download 'HWMonitor" and leave it open while you game.Then after your done go back to it and look for the GPU max temp.That will tell you the highest temp while you were gaming.Post back when you get the results.
Try to use celcius.So your idle temps are around 60c.Thats not good but i suppose it's normal for a laptop,laptops have never had really good cooling.As long as the temps don't exceed 100c you shouldn't worry.
Download 'HWMonitor" and leave it open while you game.Then after your done go back to it and look for the GPU max temp.That will tell you the highest temp while you were gaming.Post back when you get the results.

Solution

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I think it is kind of high 60C. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust from where you have the fan/fans that cool the fins and also where the air is exhausted. If temperatures are still high reapply the thermal paste( a good brand) or ask the guys where you bought it to do it.

Also i do not know if that is normal, check on Google to see what temps others that have your laptop have or a review about it.

I remember once i tried to watch a full HD movie on a laptop with integrated graphics from intel and the CPU went to 100C and could not play the movie because it was to weak..the air that was exhausted was so hot that i could not stick my fingers to the case near the cooling fins of the heat sink.

Don't use a vaccum if you do clean it.It conducts electricity which is bad for electronical parts.Use a can of compressed air if you really need to clean it.But i don't think dirt is the reason for high temps.Almost all laptops have horrible cooling,it's just the way it is with laptops.