HaroldTheUnseen

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
I bought a GTX 1650 SUPER recently even though I have Ryzen 3 1200 (stock) as CPU. I have been benchmarking this GPU since some time but there is not many people that has identical system so I couldn't think this as a money well spent. I have:

GTX 1650 SUPER
Ryzen 3 1200 (stock)
8 GB 2666 MHz RAM (single slot)

And in 3DMark (demo) Time Spy results I have got:

4902 as ''GPU score''
2600 as ''CPU score''
4323 as ''Overall score''

Didn't purchase full benchmark cause its not in a discount. Could you please guide me and tell me if these results are normal? Cause I'm really beggining to think I wasted my money. ( Btw I'm going to buy a new CPU in 3-4 months.)

Solution
I bought a GTX 1650 SUPER recently even though I have Ryzen 3 1200 (stock) as CPU. I have been benchmarking this GPU since some time but there is not many people that has identical system so I couldn't think this as a money well spent. I have:

GTX 1650 SUPER
Ryzen 3 1200 (stock)

4902 as ''GPU score''
2600 as ''CPU score''

Didn't purchase full benchmark cause its not in a discount. Could you please guide me and tell me if these results are normal? Cause I'm really beggining to think I wasted my money. ( Btw I'm going to buy a new CPU in 3-4 months.)

No need to spend more money on more benchmarks, it'll be better spent...

GTX 1650 SUPER
Ryzen 3 1200 (stock)

4902 as ''GPU score''
2600 as ''CPU score''

No need to spend more money on more benchmarks, it'll be better spent on upgrades for your system. I'll can help you analyze your system.

I'm going to assume that A) you're using your PC for gaming, and that B) you're targeting 1080p resolution @ 60 fps (frames per second). Your GPU is good for doing this, but your CPU is not.

First of all, your CPU suffers from a few handicaps:
  1. It is being handicapped by single-channel RAM (1 stick of RAM vs 2 slows down modern games).
  2. It is being handicapped by RAM that operates at a low speed (Ryzen CPUs are sensitive to this and run much slower as a result).
Even if the RAM-related handicaps are fixed, the CPU itself is also too slow for modern games:
  1. It has only 4 cores and 4 threads. Modern games usually need at least 4 cores and 8 threads, although 6 core 12 thread processors are becoming the new norm, even for mainstream gaming.
  2. It operates at very slow clock speeds, with low IPC (instructions per cycle) as well.
You already said you want to buy a new CPU; this is a good thing because you definitely could use one. Even then though, your current RAM setup will hold you back. Thus, I would recommend that you upgrade your RAM now in order to unlock as much performance as you can get out of your current CPU as well as ensuring that you wont be holding your new CPU back later.

If you need an ideal RAM setup upgrade recommendation, you need two sticks of 8 GB 3600 MHz RAM, for a total of 16 GB. 8 GB isn't enough in lots of cases anymore, 16 GB is best for most people.

Solution

HaroldTheUnseen

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
No need to spend more money on more benchmarks, it'll be better spent on upgrades for your system. I'll can help you analyze your system.

I'm going to assume that A) you're using your PC for gaming, and that B) you're targeting 1080p resolution @ 60 fps (frames per second). Your GPU is good for doing this, but your CPU is not.

First of all, your CPU suffers from a few handicaps:
  1. It is being handicapped by single-channel RAM (1 stick of RAM vs 2 slows down modern games).
  2. It is being handicapped by RAM that operates at a low speed (Ryzen CPUs are sensitive to this and run much slower as a result).
Even if the RAM-related handicaps are fixed, the CPU itself is also too slow for modern games:
  1. It has only 4 cores and 4 threads. Modern games usually need at least 4 cores and 8 threads, although 6 core 12 thread processors are becoming the new norm, even for mainstream gaming.
  2. It operates at very slow clock speeds, with low IPC (instructions per cycle) as well.
You already said you want to buy a new CPU; this is a good thing because you definitely could use one. Even then though, your current RAM setup will hold you back. Thus, I would recommend that you upgrade your RAM now in order to unlock as much performance as you can get out of your current CPU as well as ensuring that you wont be holding your new CPU back later.

If you need an ideal RAM setup upgrade recommendation, you need two sticks of 8 GB 3600 MHz RAM, for a total of 16 GB. 8 GB isn't enough in lots of cases anymore, 16 GB is best for most people.
Thanks for the help, this means a lot. And can you make it clear if my GPU is working at normal performance? Cause it didn't gave me the performance i expected. I know this is related to CPU but i didnt think it would affect me this much.

Thanks for the help, this means a lot. And can you make it clear if my GPU is working at normal performance? Cause it didn't gave me the performance i expected. I know this is related to CPU but i didnt think it would affect me this much.

Your GPU is not working at normal performance due entirely to the problems I mentioned with your CPU.

Here is how the rendering pipeline works (generally speaking): your CPU asks the hard drive for some data, the data gets moved to the RAM where your CPU can work with it, your CPU uses that data to pre-render a frame, and then the data is sent to the GPU for it to use.

I cannot emphasize this enough: your GPU is only as fast as your CPU allows it to be. Thus, whatever results you have right now about your GPU do not reflect its potential performance.

You will not have a clear idea of what kind of performance your GPU is capable of until you upgrade your CPU, and because your CPU (in addition to its inherent slowness) is being held back by your RAM (which in turn holds back your GPU), you also need to upgrade your RAM. I wish there was an easier fix, but that's the reality.