Question Is my hard drive failing?

robogamernl

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
Hi,

For the past couple of weeks I've had problems with my secondary harddrive, I mainly use this to store games. When playing a game icons and such do not seem to load in properly (my SSD and other HDD do all this fine) , transferring data to the drive is fine and goes at full speed.
I've tried running diagnostics on the drive (Windows Drive Check, CrystalDiskInfo, etc.) but they all say the drive is fine. I tried formatting it and making new partitions, but this did not help.
At the moment I am kinda out of ideas as to what might be wrong with the drive (or with something else entirely).

I hope somebody knows the solution to this problem that I have missed.

FULL PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB DDR4 3200
Mobo: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5'' (drive that has the problem)
HDD2: Western Digital Blue 1TB 2.5''

SCREENSHOT CRYSTALDISKINFO: View: https://imgur.com/a/z8Y1FGO

Kind regards,
Bart

D

Deleted member 14196

I would download western digital’s drive testing tool and put the drive-through all tests. See if that yields any information that’s useful

One of the best tools I've found is called gsmart control. It's open source/free. They even have a portable version. You can run a 60 second test. If that takes a long time or does not run, replace the drive. They have an attributes tab as well where they show all the drive stats. If anything there is lit up red, even if the drive tests fine, it's better to replace it. Drives are so inexpensive compared to what they used to be, especially for like a 1 or 2tb.