[SOLVED] Is my HDD causing stuttering in games?

Aug 12, 2020
hi, im having stutter problems while playing the heaviest games i have
i thought that my stutter was caused by my ram so i installed another stick and activated dual channel to see if that could help, but im just in the same situation, my stuttering intensifies when i increase the graphics quality, gpu and cpu should not be the problem since i have a decent rig

gpu: msi rx 5500 xt mech oc
cpu: ryzen 3 3200g
ram: 8x2 16gb ram 3000mhz
hdd: 1TB 5400 rpm western digital
ssd: nvme 128gb

in theory, the rx 5500 xt should run resident evil 7 on highest graphics at 60 fps 1080p, but when i try it at the highest graphics it runs at 10-40 fps for me, i tried everything, did i get a faulty gpu?, or is my 5400rpm hdd the problem?

note: another thing i noticed is that the textures take a while to load in most games

Solution
Well i can check that out since re7 is 20gb and i have more than that left in my ssd, the thing is that i heard that nvme drives had an specific reading/writing life, is transfering the game going to short my ssd life a lot?
Yes that is correct that SSD's have a wear level but you're often going to have replaced it long before the drive reaches the end of useful life, my OS ssd has been in use for the past 5 years and the wear level is 89%, you would probably have a new build before the drive is end of life, decent cooling plays an important role in ensuring good lifespan of components as well

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Yes, but i dont think thats the problem, in games like fortnite i still get stutters even in low graphics
I've personally had issues with RE7 using more than 4gb VRAM on high, also what is you cpu usage during gaming, you are using a 4c/t cpu, also look at YT videos of games 'Hitching' if that better describes your issue

Aug 12, 2020
I've personally had issues with RE7 using more than 4gb VRAM on high, also what is you cpu usage during gaming, you are using a 4c/t cpu, also look at YT videos of games 'Hitching' if that better describes your issue
Havent checked cpu usage, i will do it later, but i have seen many youtube fps test of resident evil 7 or even fortnite with both the same gpu and cpu i have, and they dont experience any lags. I saw that hitching thing and its actually very similar to my problem, i get low fps if i move too fast or if move the mouse very quick, and my fps vary a lot between 15 and 40 fps, and it stabilizes after a while

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Havent checked cpu usage, i will do it later, but i have seen many youtube fps test of resident evil 7 or even fortnite with both the same gpu and cpu i have, and they dont experience any lags. I saw that hitching thing and its actually very similar to my problem, i get low fps if i move too fast or if move the mouse very quick, and my fps vary a lot between 15 and 40 fps, and it stabilizes after a while
your quickest way to test if it is the hdd is to move the game installation to your ssd and try

Aug 12, 2020
your quickest way to test if it is the hdd is to move the game installation to your ssd and try
Well i can check that out since re7 is 20gb and i have more than that left in my ssd, the thing is that i heard that nvme drives had an specific reading/writing life, is transfering the game going to short my ssd life a lot?

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Yes that is correct that SSD's have a wear level but you're often going to have replaced it long before the drive reaches the end of useful life, my OS ssd has been in use for the past 5 years and the wear level is 89%, you would probably have a new build before the drive is end of life, decent cooling plays an important role in ensuring good lifespan of components as well

Solution
Aug 12, 2020
Ok, thank you so much for helping me out! I will transfer the game and test it out

Aug 12, 2020
Well, i think it is definitely the gpu, i have the exact same problem even with the ssd, fps are better but stuttering is still there, cpu usage is at 60/70 and gpu is around 90/100

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Well, i think it is definitely the gpu, i have the exact same problem even with the ssd, fps are better but stuttering is still there, cpu usage is at 60/70 and gpu is around 90/100
Hmmm, back to the drawing board. next could you cry a frame cap at 45fps on RE7 specifically, if that give you a more consistent experience with no stuttering or pop ins with textures

TRENDING THREADS