Question Is my hdd dying or not?

FTRek

Commendable
Jun 16, 2019
Out of curiosity I did check health of my drives with CrystalDiskInfo and I noticed my HDD had 3 yellow warnings, reallocated sectors count (60), uncorrectable sectors and something else I don't remember. I tried performing chkdsk at startup but it took forever, like 30k files scanned out of 1milion after 30minutes kind of forever (on step 4). I moved important files away and formatted the drive, installed maybe two games on it and performed chkdsk again but from the windows this time and it completed fairly quickly. Now CrystalDiskInfo only shows one yellow warning which is reallocated sectors count.

However.. I was told to check it with HD Tune because CrystalDiskInfo may be unreliable, so I did and it shows everything to be "ok". My HDD is 1TB seagate.

So now my question. Should I worry? Should I spend my precious money on new HDD? I really don't want to randomly lose my data or to have anxiety constantly thinking of losing my data and create backups everyday because of it.

CrystalDiskInfo is usually reliable. I have had issues with inaccurate readings on SSDs, but not on hard drives. If sectors are failing and being reallocated, your drive is dying. Backup your data, whether your drive is dying or not, its a good idea.

Last edited:

FTRek

Commendable
Jun 16, 2019
CrystalDiskInfo is reliable. If sectors are failing and being reallocated, your drive is dying. Backup your data, whether your drive is dying or not, its a good idea.

The thing is, reallocated sectors count is the same since the first time I checked and does not increase. Is it possible that it was some kind of one time damage and not entire drive dying?

The drive is dying. Backup all data immediately.
The 44 days usually isn't accurate, since it is merely an estimation, however, 25% health is a tell-tale sign of a dying drive.
I had a 2-year-old laptop drive die after only 1 year of power on time. H.D.D sentinal alerted this to me as well. The drive got so slow it took 12 min to boot windows 10.

Reactions: DMAN999

FTRek

Commendable
Jun 16, 2019
The drive is dying. Backup all data immediately.
The 44 days usually isn't accurate, since it is merely an estimation, however, 25% health is a tell-tale sign of a dying drive.
I had a 2-year-old laptop drive die after only 1 year of power on time. H.D.D sentinal alerted this to me as well. The drive got so slow it took 12 min to boot windows 10.

Interesting. Unlike yours my HDD is still pretty darn quick even when on the verge of dying. I already backed up my data onto the other drives.

So I wonder what to do with this drive once I get new one? Throw it away? Keep using it until it completely dies?

USAFRet

Titan
There are two types of drives:
Those that have died, and those that will die. Sometimes suddenly.

If you wait until some software is telling you it is dying, you've waited too long.
The time to start backing up a drive is when you take it out of the box.

Reactions: DMAN999