[SOLVED] Is my HDD dying?

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Ok, I probably already know the answer to this...but I would like some advice.

First of all, I am using a Dell XPS8500, but I've actually upgraded nearly every component except for the motherboard and the HDD. It's a 2TB Seagate, but the specs when I bought it said "2TB SATA HDD + 32GB SSD". I had always assumed that it was some kind of hybrid HDD, but after looking at the model of the HDD, it appears to just be a standard SATA HDD..so I don't know where the SSD is...? The SSD does show up in my disk managament. Is it built-in to the motherboard?

Anyway, I have been using this stock Seagate 2TB since sometime around January 2013, I think. No problems. Several months ago, I felt like the HDD was starting to make slightly more noise than usual, but CrystalDiskInfo and CHKDSK always showed no problems. But then, today I added a 3rd 2TB internal HDD (Western Digital Blue) which I got used for dirt cheap, to go along with a secondary 500GB HDD (a notebook HDD, also WD Blue). I installed it, and then ran CrystalDiskInfo to make sure the new HDD was working - but I was surprised to see that my original Seagate HDD had "CAUTION" instead of "OK" for health status. I looked into it and saw this:

Current Pending Sector Count CURRENT: 100, WORST: 100, THRESHOLD: 0, RAW VALUES: 000000008
Uncorrectable Sector Count: CURRENT: 100, WORST: 100, THRESHOLD: 0, RAW VALUES: 000000008

Also, hovering over the CAUTION also showed the same info (C5: 8, C6: 8.).

As far as my data backup situation, I have a 2TB external HDD which I use with File History to automatically back up files, and I also manually backup several files to the remaining space. And I intended to use the "new" 2TB HDD that I just installed as a kind of manual clone HDD (basically cloning everything except for program files folder or the windows folder, since Windows and any software can just be easily reinstalled). So I think I should be good as far as back up goes..... but is it ok to keep using the Seagate, or should I go ahead and buy a brand new HDD to replace it as soon as possible? Also, is there anyway to fix the errors on my HDD, or is it a one-way street?

Any advice appreciated!

Solution
It's a 2TB Seagate, but the specs when I bought it said "2TB SATA HDD + 32GB SSD". I had always assumed that it was some kind of hybrid HDD, but after looking at the model of the HDD, it appears to just be a standard SATA HDD..so I don't know where the SSD is...? The SSD does show up in my disk managament.
What's the model name of this Seagate drive?
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management and Device Manager (disk drives section expanded)?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I installed it, and then ran CrystalDiskInfo to make sure the new HDD was working - but I was surprised to see that my original Seagate HDD had "CAUTION" instead of "OK" for health status. I looked into it and saw this:
Current Pending Sector...
It's a 2TB Seagate, but the specs when I bought it said "2TB SATA HDD + 32GB SSD". I had always assumed that it was some kind of hybrid HDD, but after looking at the model of the HDD, it appears to just be a standard SATA HDD..so I don't know where the SSD is...? The SSD does show up in my disk managament.
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management and Device Manager (disk drives section expanded)?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I installed it, and then ran CrystalDiskInfo to make sure the new HDD was working - but I was surprised to see that my original Seagate HDD had "CAUTION" instead of "OK" for health status. I looked into it and saw this:
Current Pending Sector Count CURRENT: 100, WORST: 100, THRESHOLD: 0, RAW VALUES: 000000008
Uncorrectable Sector Count: CURRENT: 100, WORST: 100, THRESHOLD: 0, RAW VALUES: 000000008

but is it ok to keep using the Seagate, or should I go ahead and buy a brand new HDD to replace it as soon as possible? Also, is there anyway to fix the errors on my HDD, or is it a one-way street?
8 pending sectors - not great, but doesn't mean, you'd have to throw it out just yet. Pending sectors mean - at some point drive could not read the sector. It doesn't mean it's bad.
Pending sectors get resolved by overwriting them. Pending status gets cleared and sector either is considered fine or gets relocated.
You can do it with MHDD (scan with relocate option) or with Victoria software.

Solution

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016

ST2000DM001

8 pending sectors - not great, but doesn't mean, you'd have to throw it out just yet. Pending sectors mean - at some point drive could not read the sector. It doesn't mean it's bad.
Pending sectors get resolved by overwriting them. Pending status gets cleared and sector either is considered fine or gets relocated.
You can do it with MHDD (scan with relocate option) or with Victoria software.

Ok, so you're saying that it is possible that the numbers could go away and my drive goes back to OK status??? I read somewhere else that I should mostly be concerned if the number starts growing. Is that about right?

TRENDING THREADS