[SOLVED] Is my HDD ok? (crystaldiskinfo readout)

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
xURkkOX.png

This is Seagate 16TB HDD Exos X16 I bought last month.
I know Seagate is known to have weird Read Error rate (01) and Seek Error Rate (07) etc. but this one has suspicious Spin-Up Time (03) and Load/Unload Cycle Count (C1) too which most brand new HDD have 100 values.
Are those Seagate thing too? Am I being over suspicious?
I just want to know if this HDD is defective or not and if it's ok to save my data. I have PTSD of losing 10 years of photos and memories because of bad HDD, and I don't want to go through that again.

Solution
The heads have parked 2152 times in 558 hours. This works out to 1 autopark event every 15 minutes. I expect that this is a consequence of a power management setting, either in the OS or in the drive's firmware (APM).

I don't know what is normal for the Spin-Up Time attribute, but your SMART data wouldn't worry me.
xURkkOX.png

This is Seagate 16TB HDD Exos X16 I bought last month.
I know Seagate is known to have weird Read Error rate (01) and Seek Error Rate (07) etc. but this one has suspicious Spin-Up Time (03) and Load/Unload Cycle Count (C1) too which most brand new HDD have 100 values.
Are those Seagate thing too? Am I being over suspicious?
I just want to know if this HDD is defective or not and if it's ok to save my data. I have PTSD of losing 10 years of photos and memories because of bad HDD, and I don't want to go through that again.
In CDI click on function/advanced features/raw values.
Put a tick in 16(hex)
Post a screenshot of the results.

The heads have parked 2152 times in 558 hours. This works out to 1 autopark event every 15 minutes. I expect that this is a consequence of a power management setting, either in the OS or in the drive's firmware (APM).

I don't know what is normal for the Spin-Up Time attribute, but your SMART data wouldn't worry me.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I will, but I want to know if this HDD is safe to use first.
You should ALWAYS have a known good backup.

We out here can say "Sure, that test looks fine"

And then the drive dies tomorrow.
Or you get a nasty virus.
Or a nearby lightning strike.
Or any of a number of other ways to lose your data.

Backups are like car insurance. Many things outside your control can cause a loss.

At 558 hours and 40 power up counts, I would hardly call this drive "brand new".

I wouldn't worry about spin-up time. It's just the average amount of time it took to spin up the hard drive from zero RPM. If the hard drive is working fine now with the amount of time it's been on, it's likely going to work fine for years.

Load/Unload Cycle Count is how many times the head parked. If we take the formula used in the answer of this thread, given the normalized value, the raw value, and the power on hours, the drive can be expected to last about 56,000 hours, or 6 years and some change. This is assuming the trend continues throughout that time period.

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
At 558 hours and 40 power up counts, I would hardly call this drive "brand new".

I wouldn't worry about spin-up time. It's just the average amount of time it took to spin up the hard drive from zero RPM. If the hard drive is working fine now with the amount of time it's been on, it's likely going to work fine for years.

Load/Unload Cycle Count is how many times the head parked. If we take the formula used in the answer of this thread, given the normalized value, the raw value, and the power on hours, the drive can be expected to last about 56,000 hours, or 6 years and some change. This is assuming the trend continues throughout that time period.

I know. I put it inside of my PC about a month ago, but I barely used it yet because I was busy and I felt skeptical about the hard drive. I guess you are right about the age.
Appreciate your info. I checked crystalinfo a couple more time, and I think spin-up time often shift from 91 to 90 from time to time.

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019

Is it something I should worry about? I put my windows power setting to highest, so if it is a problem, should I look for updating firmware?

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
And you should STILL do regular backups.
Physical drive death is but one of the many ways your data can go bye bye.

And I've seen a seemingly perfect HDD, 5 weeks old, go from great to dead in about 36 hours.

I will keep that in mind. Perhaps I'll need a portable hard drive for that.

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
Again, backups are like car insurance.
You need to be doing it before the BadThing happens.

Ok! I will do it! lol
In fact, I will backup my documents and photos today.
Can't do videos because of large size, but I'll back that up too as soon as buying large backup hard drive.

Last edited: