Is my I5 3470 causing performance issues?

andrewpolden43

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
I have some stuttering in a few games and general low performance in my system.
I used to have a system with a 970 mini, but upgraded this with a 1080 mini from zotac. I have always had 16gb DDr3 ram and an intel I5-3470.
I noticed the stuttering a while ago expecting it to be an issue with the 970, but I wanted to upgrade this anyway and brought the 1080 but the issues are still there.

I have noticed these issues mainly in these 3 games for examples, but they do apply to other games I play.
-Black ops 3 has an issue where the cpu is at 100% and the gpu at around 50% and the game will freeze for a second with the audio still playing. If it's relevant this is in multiplayer online, offline vs bots and zombies
-Fallout 4 has various drops in framerate when things get hectic, but in some areas the cpu is at 100% and the gpu is only at 12% and the framerate is in the 10's. This is the case with vanilla and heavily modded
-Ghost recon wildlands is the same as fallout 4 but the cpu is ALWAYS in the late 90's and 100% meaning hectic areas cause frame drops as well as the freezing issue I find in BO3

The reason I ask is that everywhere I look I get very different opinions as to how to solve this. I have heard one where getting a "game booster" helps but for me it only reduced the issue a little, and another where you disable dynamic tick, but this only fixed my issue for a little while before it came back in an hour. The final thing I hear is that changing the resolution so the graphics card works harder will make the issues go away, and I notice a difference on BO3, but the gpu can be at 10% or at 90% and the cpu will still be very very high and the issues do not go, but reduce in frequency

I have also formatted all my hard drives and replaced one with SSD so the system has had a clean instal of everything.

Is this a case of something I have not tested? Or is this the case I need to bite the bullet and buy a new cpu, ram and mobo bundle?
I also can not OC my cpu due to motherboard limitations as at the time I brought them, overclocking wasn't as well supported as it is now and it isn't a "gaming" motherboard
Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
Download OCCT and run the stress test and monitor your temps.
Make sure you have no virus.
You Video card will only run the % it needs to for processing the information it's getting.
You might be able to find a cheap used 3770 that would help some or consider putting the 970 back in, remove the SSD, do a fresh OS install on the HDD and selling it and reuse your SSD and the 1080 in a new build.

nvincent_08

Reputable
the cpu definitely struggling, but the graphics card load were not 100% which means there is something wrong with it, because graphics card should work at 100%, could be the game that were not good optimized, but if 3 games have the same issue. how about the graphics card temperature and load? pascal gpu clock is pretty sensitive with temperature. also i heard the 'mini' gtx graphics card have a lot of complain in temperature, which could probably be your problem

andrewpolden43

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

I just tested BO3 today and I played around with some settings. I usually play at 4k with no issues, but I tried 1080p and had a 60fps lock. The CPU was always at 100, but the gpu would play at 30-40, then randomly go up to 80-100.Im thinking this might be the issue at 4k, getting regular fps of 60, but then this spike happens and the gpu just goes. I also noticed that the gpu usage goes to 0 immediately after freeze for a second, then goes back to 60% after. The temps are both 60 degrees Celsius and dont tend to move from that whilst playing either of the games I mentioned or rocket league.

Your cpu feeds instructions to your gpu so if it's not sending any instructions the gpu won't do anything and the game will freeze. Ideally you'd want to have your gpu at 100% load and your cpu at less than 90% load to avoid micro stuttering and freezes. You'll want your next pc upgrade to be the cpu.

nvincent_08

Reputable

how about the clock speed? is it stable or fluctuating? check again your drivers, bios and the version, programs/softwares that might interrupt the performance, usually the most common thing were malware

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Download OCCT and run the stress test and monitor your temps.
Make sure you have no virus.
You Video card will only run the % it needs to for processing the information it's getting.
You might be able to find a cheap used 3770 that would help some or consider putting the 970 back in, remove the SSD, do a fresh OS install on the HDD and selling it and reuse your SSD and the 1080 in a new build.

Solution