Question Is my i7 6700 bottlenecking my new RTX 2060 Super?

Abdullahx9000

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
My new GPU (RTX 2060 Super) is not getting utilized much, I think I am experiencing a CPU bottleneck. CPU usage is usually around 70-90% while GPU is only somewhere between 40-60%. Compared to my old GPU (R9 390) I am getting a few extra FPS, and a little smoother experience.

FPS in games:
  • Modern Warfare Warzone: I am getting around 80-100 Fps only with a few times where FPS goes to 120. Feels very unsmooth
  • Modern Warfare Multiplayer: +144fps all the time with a few drops here and there. Usually a very smooth experience.
  • Valorant and Overwatch: Very light games which run at 144+ fps no problem. Very smooth
  • Apex Legends: fps is around 130-150, feels smooth sometimes, but often get fps drops which causes the game to become very unsmooth and laggy. While dropping, the FPS is only at around 60-80.
These are my specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700
  • GPU: AMD R9 390 -> RTX 2060 Super
  • RAM: 2x8GB Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB
  • MBD: Asus PRIME B250M-A
  • PSU: 750W

My Questions:
  1. If this is a CPU bottleneck, would I benefit from upgrading the CPU?
  2. Which CPU should I buy, that would make the RTX 2060 Super run at full performance? (I am looking to play at atleast 144fps in all games while streaming/recording)

Apr 26, 2020
  1. Yes.
  2. I'd say anything with significantly higher single threaded performance and more cores, starting with something three generations above like a Core i5 9600K. I lack knowledge in your current platform, but it seems that you won't be able to game at 144 Hz + stream with a 6th or 7th generation Intel quad-core processor.

Abdullahx9000

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
Woops I entered 2070S instead of 2060S, here is the result for the 2060S which is a 18% bottleneck as well: https://ibb.co/c1SgtcK

Hey there Stocky, thank you for showing me this tool! Though I noticed in the screenshot you sent, you had chosen the K version of the i7 6700 CPU, so it only showed a bottleneck of 18%. When I inputtet the correct CPU, it showed a Bottleneck of 27% !!

My old GPU (R9 390 8GB) + the i7 6700 CPU only had a bottleneck of 3%, which is why it had a good usage compared to my new RTX 2060 Super: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-6700/Radeon_R9_390/0FU0TSf2/8/

I know this is a big bottleneck, but I am wondering how big of an impact that is on performance.
Also do you have any suggestions for a CPU that I can upgrade to, that can hopefully solve this issue?

Abdullahx9000

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
  1. Yes.
  2. I'd say anything with significantly higher single threaded performance and more cores, starting with something three generations above like a Core i5 9600K. I lack knowledge in your current platform, but it seems that you won't be able to game at 144 Hz + stream with a 6th or 7th generation Intel quad-core processor.
I have no knowledge about CPUs, I am just looking for one that will solve this bottlenecking issue.

I lack knowledge in your current platform, but it seems that you won't be able to game at 144 Hz + stream with a 6th or 7th generation Intel quad-core processor.

I bought the RTX 2060 Super for this reason, I have been told that I can use the NVEC (Nvidia) encoder to help stream, so the GPU handles the streaming part as well as gaming so CPU can focus on GPU.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes more than likely. There are a few bottleneck calculators out there. Here's the result: https://ibb.co/N1rVGCb

Hey there Stocky, thank you for showing me this tool! Though I noticed in the screenshot you sent, you had chosen the K version of the i7 6700 CPU, so it only showed a bottleneck of 18%. When I inputtet the correct CPU, it showed a Bottleneck of 27% !!
Sorry, but that "tool" is absolutely useless.
Seriously.
Actually, worse than useless, because people think it is actually accurate, and may base buying decisions and $$ on its output.

You cannot calculate a "bottleneck" like that.

This is the exact same system (mine), a few months apart.
kr0s3iV.jpg

And just now, June 2020
fcNjVny.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney06ss
Jun 30, 2020
Ah <Mod Edit>, I was just about to comment that this tool is great, been wondering about my CPU bottleneck! Too bad it doesn't work =/

Last edited by a moderator: