Question Is my M.2 Nvme broken?

Aug 7, 2021
blog.sammys.me
So I bought myself parts to build a new pc.

The parts are:

i5-11600K
Asus Prime B560-Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200Mhz (2x16gb)
Samsung Evo 970 500Gb
Seagate Barracuda Compute 1TB

My problem is with the M.2 drive, sometimes it shows up in BIOS and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it showed up in BIOS saying that the capacity was 2000Gb and sometimes it was 0Gb.

When I tried to install Windows the installer couldn't see the disk so I tried with Linux.

When booting Ubuntu from a USB I got an error message saying "nvme nvme0: failed to register the CMB" and "Minimum device page size 16384 too large for host" and I cannot see it anywhere, Gparted, Files, Disk utility. But the computer clearly recognizes that it's plugged in.

I did some googling and found that I had to turn on "CSM" in BIOS so I tried that, but it turned out that I cannot enable this function when running on integrated graphics. So I borrowed a graphics card and was able to enable the function, it still didn't do anything though.

I'm really running out of ideas here, is the disk defective or am I doing something wrong? I've followed the steps on Asus troubleshooting for NVMe drives. I've tried refitting the drive, but I haven't tried my second M.2 slot.

Aug 6, 2021
So I bought myself parts to build a new pc.

The parts are:

i5-11600K
Asus Prime B560-Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200Mhz (2x16gb)
Samsung Evo 970 500Gb
Seagate Barracuda Compute 1TB

My problem is with the M.2 drive, sometimes it shows up in BIOS and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it showed up in BIOS saying that the capacity was 2000Gb and sometimes it was 0Gb.

When I tried to install Windows the installer couldn't see the disk so I tried with Linux.

When booting Ubuntu from a USB I got an error message saying "nvme nvme0: failed to register the CMB" and "Minimum device page size 16384 too large for host" and I cannot see it anywhere, Gparted, Files, Disk utility. But the computer clearly recognizes that it's plugged in.

I did some googling and found that I had to turn on "CSM" in BIOS so I tried that, but it turned out that I cannot enable this function when running on integrated graphics. So I borrowed a graphics card and was able to enable the function, it still didn't do anything though.

I'm really running out of ideas here, is the disk defective or am I doing something wrong? I've followed the steps on Asus troubleshooting for NVMe drives. I've tried refitting the drive, but I haven't tried my second M.2 slot.
I'm having a bit of the same issue on an ASUS Z390-A. Funny thing is, I actually installed Windows on it and, but it still tries to boot to an older SSD drive. So when I start up, it either gives me the option to boot from either drive, or I get the BSOD because it defaulted to the old drive.
And it randomly shows up in the BIOS. So far this is what I have tried:
  1. BIOS update
  2. Reinstalling the NVMe.
  3. Changing the NVMe from the M.2_2 slot to the M.2_1 slot
  4. Changing the SATA port from the older SSD drive.
I have not changed the CSM setting - I'll have to find it.

Aug 7, 2021
blog.sammys.me
I'm having a bit of the same issue on an ASUS Z390-A. Funny thing is, I actually installed Windows on it and, but it still tries to boot to an older SSD drive. So when I start up, it either gives me the option to boot from either drive, or I get the BSOD because it defaulted to the old drive.
And it randomly shows up in the BIOS. So far this is what I have tried:
  1. BIOS update
  2. Reinstalling the NVMe.
  3. Changing the NVMe from the M.2_2 slot to the M.2_1 slot
  4. Changing the SATA port from the older SSD drive.
I have not changed the CSM setting - I'll have to find it.

Well at least you got further than i did :D I can't install anything on it, or even access the storage at all.

Aug 7, 2021
blog.sammys.me
Upper M.2 slot is PCIE 4.0. Your M.2 drive is PCIE 3.0.
There may be an issue with M.2 slot correctly detecting M.2 drive. That's why I suggested, you force M.2 slot operation mode to PCIE 3.0.
But I'm not sure, there is an option for this in BIOS. You have to check and see.
I tried forcing it to PCIE 3.0 but no dice. As far as I know PCIe should be both backward and forward compatible.

TRENDING THREADS