[SOLVED] Is my overclock safe

Jun 18, 2020
I've just overclocked my i7 4790k and it's my first ever overclock. The cpu has been delidded and has liquid metal between the dye and ihs. Anyway my overclock, it's running at 4.7 ghz with a core voltage of 1.250. I have intel turbo boost enabled and EIST enabled. I have enhanced turbo disabled and I have changed nothing else. Does this sound like I'm okay? One worrying factor is that task manager states that I'm running at like 5.7 ghz when under load? Cpu z states the frequency i set however. Is this something to worry about? My temps are at a max of 65 degrees.

Solution
I tried that but the voltage turned red in the bios
Then stay at the 4.6/1.250V then as it may be a limit on the motherboard. While it's interesting to see how high it could overclock the extra 100-200mhz isn't really worth the risk nowadays considering finding replacement parts for it would be expensive/rare since it's older. At 65C on full load at that voltage it's perfectly safe and should last awhile.

WildCard999

Titan
Disregard the speed task manager reports as it's clearly wrong.

Your voltage and temps are perfectly safe so it is a good overclock/delid although is the 65C through a game or CPU benchmark? If game then try Prime95 Small FFT's with AVX disabled and let us know the temp. As long as it's under 85C while stress testing (or under 80C while gaming) then you should be fine.

Jun 18, 2020
Disregard the speed task manager reports as it's clearly wrong.

Your voltage and temps are perfectly safe so it is a good overclock/delid although is the 65C through a game or CPU benchmark? If game then try Prime95 Small FFT's with AVX disabled and let us know the temp. As long as it's under 85C while stress testing (or under 80C while gaming) then you should be fine.

Thanks for your reply. I will have to admit I jumped the gun with that post. The test I was running did not complete. However, I'm currently running at 4.6 ghz at 1.250 v. I'm 35 minutes into a prime 95 stress test and my max temperature is 65 degrees

Jun 18, 2020
I am cooling with an aio. I completed the full hour and the max temperature was 65 degrees. It seems to be stable. I would go for 4.7 ghz or 4.8 but when I try it boots straight to the blue screen

WildCard999

Titan
I tried that but the voltage turned red in the bios
Then stay at the 4.6/1.250V then as it may be a limit on the motherboard. While it's interesting to see how high it could overclock the extra 100-200mhz isn't really worth the risk nowadays considering finding replacement parts for it would be expensive/rare since it's older. At 65C on full load at that voltage it's perfectly safe and should last awhile.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
I hope it's not the motherboard I have a z97 gaming 5
I'm not entirely sure what the red could be then, 1.3V is safe for 4th gen Intel. I took a look at the manual for the board and I didn't see anything that referenced that.

Do you have the circled connection plugged into the PSU? This connection provides additional power to the CPU for overclocking so maybe if it isn't connected then maybe that's the cause of the 1.3V in red.

kenMfW0.png

Jun 18, 2020
I did notice that before my overclock my cpu only seemed to turbo up to 4.2 and not the advertised 4.4. Could this be an indication that one of the 2 4pin cpu power cables might not be plugged in properly?

WildCard999

Titan
I did notice that before my overclock my cpu only seemed to turbo up to 4.2 and not the advertised 4.4. Could this be an indication that one of the 2 4pin cpu power cables might not be plugged in properly?
Probably not. The 4.4 boost is on a single core and the 4.2 is for all 4 cores. Which one you see depends on the workload but for newer games I'd expect the 4.2 and for a single core task it should boost to 4.4.