Is my PSU broken?

Dec 9, 2018
A few months ago my PC stops booting and instead just sits there with all the fans spun up but no display output. Trying to find the problem, I try my friend's compatible CPU and RAM in my system w/o drives or GPU and a different monitor connected to onboard graphics. Same thing. I assume this is a dead mobo so I buy a replacement. Same thing again. At this point I try my friend's PSU with my system as well as a different CPU heatsink, all resulting in the same thing. Is there any other possibility other than the power supply having fried both my old and new motherboard? As far as I'm aware I've completely exhausted any other potential problems, but I want to be absolutely sure before I commit to replacing it. If you're curious:

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX

MB: Asrock AB350 ITX (previously), Asrock B450 ITX (currently)

Thanks for the help folks!

- rabo

Solution
That cpu doesnt have intergrated graphics, so its not going to boot without a seperate graphics card. Did you try the new PSU along with a card? Also possible the card's connectors have been fried. try hooking your psu to his

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
That cpu doesnt have intergrated graphics, so its not going to boot without a seperate graphics card. Did you try the new PSU along with a card? Also possible the card's connectors have been fried. try hooking your psu to his

Solution
Dec 9, 2018

I saw the HDMI port on the back of the motherboard and didn't even think of this! I would try to connect my PSU to his system, but I REALLY don't want to risk frying his motherboard. I could certainly try to boot with his GPU since that is the one part of his I haven't used in mine yet. Thank you so much!

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019

You're very welcome. Keep me updated and ill do my best to help you see this through

Dec 9, 2018

Just plugged my GPU back in and it booted fine. Turns out that it had been my old motherboard that was the problem. I've been working on this on and off whenever I've had time for well over a month and I can't tell you how relieved I am. Thank you so much and have a wonderful day/night!

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019

You're very welcome!