Is my PSU dead?

luissuarez

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
I disconnected all the components connected to my PSU and tested with multimeter there is only ~2.9V between green wire and black wire. Is this an indication my PSU is broken? Thanks.

Solution
You wrote "Could these two abnormal results prevent my computer from booting?" You mean that it POST, but it won't boot?

Blue = -12V ±10%; therefore -11.6V is within specs

Why did you test between green and grey? If you used a paperclip between pins 16 and a black wire, then pin 16 should be 0 volts. If grey is not 0 volts, then the PSU is powered on.

The paperclip test doesn't prove the PSU is good unless a load is applied.

luissuarez

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

I have tested the PSU powered on by a paperclip with a multimeter. Here is the result.

Yellow : 12.17V
Red : 5.09V
Orange : 3.38V
Blue : -11.6V

Green and grey wire : 2.96V

I suspect the results of blue and black wire and green and grey wire are abnormal. The former one should be -12V and the later one should be above 5V. Could these two abnormal results prevent my computer from booting?

You wrote "Could these two abnormal results prevent my computer from booting?" You mean that it POST, but it won't boot?

Blue = -12V ±10%; therefore -11.6V is within specs

Why did you test between green and grey? If you used a paperclip between pins 16 and a black wire, then pin 16 should be 0 volts. If grey is not 0 volts, then the PSU is powered on.

The paperclip test doesn't prove the PSU is good unless a load is applied.

Solution