[SOLVED] Is my router bottlenecking my Internet?

Feb 13, 2020
So I have a 100mbps internet connection from Spectrum. However, when I plug my computer from the router, I only get about 13mbs download speeds. But when I plug it into the modem, I get about 95mbs download speeds. So is the router bottlenecking my connection? If so, would something like plugging the modem into a splitter so I can connect my computer and the router work? Thank you.

Solution
Ok, I'll try resetting the router. The one I use is a TP-Link Archer A7 from 2017. I looked it up and it says it can handle 100mbps connections, but maybe not lol.
That router has gigabit LAN and WAN ports. It should be able to handle 100Mbit wired with no problem.
There is firmware from 2019 for that router. I would recommend you manually verify that you have the most current firmware. Sometimes the "automatic" firmware update checks don't work. https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a7/#Firmware

Ralston18

Titan
More likely that you have a network configuration error.

For example if the modem is really a modem/router combination and its' DHCP function is not disabled and the router is also doing DHCP that causes problems.

Did you change or establish any IP's or other configuration settings on either the modem or router?

Update your post to include modem and router information: makes & models?

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.

kanewolf

Titan
So I have a 100mbps internet connection from Spectrum. However, when I plug my computer from the router, I only get about 13mbs download speeds. But when I plug it into the modem, I get about 95mbs download speeds. So is the router bottlenecking my connection? If so, would something like plugging the modem into a splitter so I can connect my computer and the router work? Thank you.
Start by doing a factory reset of your router. It is easy to set some option that can hurt your performance. A factory reset followed by just seting the passwords and SSIDs ensures you don't have anything "accidentally" configured incorrectly.

It is also possible that your router IS the problem. What model is your router?

Feb 13, 2020
Start by doing a factory reset of your router. It is easy to set some option that can hurt your performance. A factory reset followed by just seting the passwords and SSIDs ensures you don't have anything "accidentally" configured incorrectly.

It is also possible that your router IS the problem. What model is your router?

Ok, I'll try resetting the router. The one I use is a TP-Link Archer A7 from 2017. I looked it up and it says it can handle 100mbps connections, but maybe not lol.

kanewolf

Titan
That router has gigabit LAN and WAN ports. It should be able to handle 100Mbit wired with no problem.
There is firmware from 2019 for that router. I would recommend you manually verify that you have the most current firmware. Sometimes the "automatic" firmware update checks don't work. https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a7/#Firmware

Reactions: Aidanator
Solution
Feb 13, 2020
Feb 13, 2020

Hi there, I was able to configure the router! I now get about 50mbps download speeds! Thank you!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there, I was able to configure the router! I now get about 50mbps download speeds! Thank you!
That is still not great for 100Mbit service. I would next swap the cable from the modem to the router with a brand new one. And from the router to the PC with a new one. There is no reason you shouldn't get 95Mbit if you get 95 connected to the modem.
What PC are you connecting?

Feb 13, 2020
That is still not great for 100Mbit service. I would next swap the cable from the modem to the router with a brand new one. And from the router to the PC with a new one. There is no reason you shouldn't get 95Mbit if you get 95 connected to the modem.
What PC are you connecting?
Yes, when connected to wi-fi, I get about 200+ mbps downloads. I'll get a newer network cable soon. I'm connecting my main PC. I'm planning on getting some newer cables soon. Thanks for your help!