[SOLVED] Is my RTX 3080 underperforming?

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
So i recently got my hands on a RTX 3080 Asus tuf non-oced. And i proceded to bench it right away. Using Userbenchmark, i got a good average result at first on everything. Everything seemed to work fine, until i started to play watch dogs legion. I wanted to compare my gpu to this article (https://www.legitreviews.com/watch-...mance-benchmarked-on-12-graphics-cards_223425). According to this article, i should be able to hit 70 fps average on 4k very high settings/no rt/no dlss. I got only 58 average fps on my system. Using rivatuna, i can see that my cpu is only being 40-50% utilized, while my gpu is being 97% utilized. Therefore, it cannot be a cpu bottleneck. I have the latest Nvidia drivers (457.30 game ready drivers). I wanted to do a Userbench mark for this thread, but now when i try to do that it gives me this message (INFO: Bench NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 @(BenQ XL2420T) on display(1) = main. ERROR: Plane GPU benchmark failed, aborting further tests on this GPU) WTF? should i be worried? Tried this several times.
Please notice that on 1080p ultra settings, my CPU is actually bottlenecking my GPU with a usage of 80% and a gpu usage at 85%
I am not too great at computers and need help here.

PC:
CPU= INTEL I7-9700k/no oc
GPU=NVIDIA RTX 3080 Asus TUF/no oc
Motherboard=Z390-A PRO (maybe pcie 4 performs a lot worse on a pcie 3 mb?)
Ram=16gb 3600mhz xmp profile.
PSU=750 watt (maybe the problem Lies here?)
Monitor=BenQ XL2420T

Ps. My monitor has a native 1080p, so i am using DSR to increase it to 4K. Does DSR strain the GPU further than native 4K?
My temps are all around fine with 51 degrees on my GPU at 97% load and 61 degrees on my cpu at 80% load. All watch dogs legion tests were done with vsync off ofcourse.

Can it really be the difference between TUF and ROG strix? 12 fps? I assume the card the article used was overclocked aswell. I am also Playing on ubisoft+ does internet speed have anything to do here?

pps. I just did a 3dmark free edition test on and my GPU scores around 16100 i know that is good for a 3080 but if the problem isnt my GPU, what Can it be?
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dhruvky94
Solution
i Just noticed this (https://streamable.com/bnz0ki) Doesn't this indicate a cpu bottleneck? I will try some other games. I am downloading RDR2 right now.
Excuse my mic, I forgot to turn it off :p

This does look like a CPU bottleneck. Can you try port royal benchmark from 3dmark? It's a purely GPU bound test so you will know for sure if your GPU is ok or not.
For Watch Dogs Legion, you can try overclocking your CPU a bit. Given that it is an Intel CPU, you should be able to easily overclock it.

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
I would avoid using userbenchmark for any testing. Also, watch dogs legion has some issues in PC optimization right now. Can you please try some other games and report your performance ? Preferably non ubisoft games.

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
i Just noticed this (https://streamable.com/bnz0ki) Doesn't this indicate a cpu bottleneck? I will try some other games. I am downloading RDR2 right now.
Excuse my mic, I forgot to turn it off :p

This does look like a CPU bottleneck. Can you try port royal benchmark from 3dmark? It's a purely GPU bound test so you will know for sure if your GPU is ok or not.
For Watch Dogs Legion, you can try overclocking your CPU a bit. Given that it is an Intel CPU, you should be able to easily overclock it.

Solution

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017

Here is my results: View: https://imgur.com/a/N2lNZqZ

It used to validate, but now it doesn't?
Btw does it make a difference that 3dmark decides to run these benchmarks on 1440p?

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Here is my results: View: https://imgur.com/a/N2lNZqZ

It used to validate, but now it doesn't?
Btw does it make a difference that 3dmark decides to run these benchmarks on 1440p?

Not sure why it doesn't validate. Your scores seem to be apx 1000 points below the reviews, same is the case for me. That + CPU bottleneck could be the reason for your lower FPS in Watch dogs legion. You can also try Timespy Extreme since that is in 4k. But 1440p Port royal should be good enough to remove CPU bottlenecks. You can just overclock your CPU by a bit to make sure there is no issue from your GPU.

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
Not sure why it doesn't validate. Your scores seem to be apx 1000 points below the reviews, same is the case for me. That + CPU bottleneck could be the reason for your lower FPS in Watch dogs legion. You can also try Timespy Extreme since that is in 4k. But 1440p Port royal should be good enough to remove CPU bottlenecks. You can just overclock your CPU by a bit to make sure there is no issue from your GPU.
You say it is the same case for you. Do you think it is normal? What are your feelings about it?
Can a overclock really do the 1000 points difference?
Do you think the reviewers use the most optimal settings, equipment and enviornment when testing?

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
You say it is the same case for you. Do you think it is normal? What are your feelings about it?
Can a overclock really do the 1000 points difference?
Do you think the reviewers use the most optimal settings, equipment and enviornment when testing?

I am not sure. Yeah I can easily gain the 1000 points back by doing a simple overclock, I am not sure why the reviewers are scoring soo much better. Probably because of open test bench and ambient temperature.

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
I am not sure. Yeah I can easily gain the 1000 points back by doing a simple overclock, I am not sure why the reviewers are scoring soo much better. Probably because of open test bench and ambient temperature.
My card usually runs at 1900 MHz give or take 20. I overclocked it via Asus GPU tweak 2 to 2020 MHz via the OC scanner system. It only gave me 350 point increase.

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
I think Port Royal is the least CPU intensive test. You do seem to be CPU bound here.
Cpu bound as in, cpu bottleneck here aswell? I have played rdr2 and here it performs a bit better with around the same performance as other people at 4k but below some people aswell with like 5-10 fps. Btw i noted that the 3080 strix has more gpixels/s and tflops than my tuf version. I bet that has something to do with all this.

I use DSR, which I have heard should perform worse than native 4k. I know DSR is only for anti-aliasing, but I use it as a performance test.

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Cpu bound as in, cpu bottleneck here aswell? I have played rdr2 and here it performs a bit better with around the same performance as other people at 4k but below some people aswell with like 5-10 fps. Btw i noted that the 3080 strix has more gpixels/s and tflops than my tuf version. I bet that has something to do with all this.

I use DSR, which I have heard should perform worse than native 4k. I know DSR is only for anti-aliasing, but I use it as a performance test.

From what I have read about DSR, it should almost be same as native 4k. It does do upscaling and downscaling though so you can expect some performance difference. Why don't you run tests in your native resolution to test out your graphics card?

Dec 20, 2020
Hello,

I am having the same issue with the 3080 Tuf, I have the OC version paired with a 3700x. Did you find that it was ultimately a cpu bottleneck? I am getting pretty much the same score you posed for port royal. Waiting on acquiring a 5900x.