[SOLVED] Is my RX580 fried..?

Apr 17, 2020
The past few days my asus RX580 4GB has been crashing, going to a black screen and my monitor displays "no signal", whenever I launch a 3D program.
All the temps are fine, I've tried multiple driver versions, flashed VBIOS, clean installed windows so it can't be something else that's doing it. No overclocks or anything, I'm lost at what to do.

Solution
I prefer 1KWatt PSUs myself, however, it is a matter of budget. The problem is they only state the total watt rating and not how are those watts distributed across the voltage rails, I bet that a fully loaded system will still be under a total of 450 watts in this case. And yes, running PSU at near max load will drive it broken fairly fast.

Now this specific PSU model claims to have 384w available for 12v rail (shared between ~300w GPU and 65w CPU) so it is just barely enough.
If are leaving out the importance of psu build quality and the systems transient loads. Build quality is one of the most important parts of picking a psu. Just because a psu is 1000w doesn't mean it's not junk.

You can run a high quality psu at...
Apr 17, 2020
Ryzen 3 1200
Asus RX580 4GB
Hyperx 16gb ram at 2666MHz
PSU - Xilence redwing series 500W

It is a pretty poor psu, but I've been using it for a year with this exact build and had no issues so far.

Edit: I just tested it out and I am able to run an easier title like minecraft, not sure for how long, but i was able to roam around the world without issues, but launching something more demanding, like CS:GO which is my main worry, instantly crashes it even before the menu loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor quality 500w psu with an RX 580 is going to be problematic. Surprised it made it a year before the problems started.
I prefer 1KWatt PSUs myself, however, it is a matter of budget. The problem is they only state the total watt rating and not how are those watts distributed across the voltage rails, I bet that a fully loaded system will still be under a total of 450 watts in this case. And yes, running PSU at near max load will drive it broken fairly fast.

Now this specific PSU model claims to have 384w available for 12v rail (shared between ~300w GPU and 65w CPU) so it is just barely enough.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan

If are leaving out the importance of psu build quality and the systems transient loads. Build quality is one of the most important parts of picking a psu. Just because a psu is 1000w doesn't mean it's not junk.

You can run a high quality psu at its rated wattage without issue. A low quality psu will degrade quickly and start having problems that could lead to fried hardware.

Solution