[SOLVED] Is my Samsung 860 Evo SATA3 damaged?

Dec 7, 2020
I got a new Samsung 860 Evo SATA3 and at first I tried to save some files to it using HDD docking station (via USB 3.0), and it didn't show up on Windows 10.

Then I plugged it internally to a PC and it was recognized by the BIOS so I installed Windows 10 on it, and then it was finally recognized by the docking station.

Is it normal behaviour or my SSD is damaged/corrupted? Because what would happen if I actually bought it for storage and it didn't show up? They expect people to first install Windows on it only?

Or it's damaged/corrupted and I should return it?

Thanks

Solution
No, it does NOT need an OS to be installed on it.

Probably, it just needed to be Initialized in Disk Management. Then formatted.

Now, you potentially have a much worse problem.
The PC where you connected it and installed the OS...was there already a different drive in there? Maybe with an OS already?

USAFRet

Titan

The PC where you connected it and installed the OS...was there already a different drive in there? Maybe with an OS already?

Reactions: Frandesktop
Solution
Dec 7, 2020

The PS where you connected it and installed the OS...was there already a different drive in there? Maybe with an OS already?

Oh god how could I have forgotten about disk management!
Yep, it had a hard drive there before :}, you mean problems with Windows 10 license right?

Dec 7, 2020
No, not the license.
But that other PC and its OS may now show a menu to choose what drive and OS to boot from.
Likely the boot info for this 860 got merged into the already existing boot info.
I removed the other drive before doing it, and then removed this drive and plugged the other one back (they were never connected simultaneously together).. so I should be fine right?

USAFRet

Titan
I removed the other drive before doing it, and then removed this drive and plugged the other one back (they were never connected simultaneously together).. so I should be fine right?
OK, yes.
All should be good.

Now, you just have to delete all the partitions on this 860.
Not just "format" in File Explorer...that would leave behind the boot partition.

Reactions: Frandesktop