Question Is my SSD okay for long term operation ?

May 25, 2024
Hi guys,

I have a 182GB SSD as my OS drive, it contains only Windows and Office. My other files and games are on another SSD.

So, I was actually wondering that is this much space good enough for many years to come or ill need to buy a bigger drive, considering the fact that it currently has 80GB free.

This thought has really been troubling me as I heard about Microsoft dropping there new AI updates, so will my SSD at least last for maybe 4-5 years receiving regular Windows updates?

Thank you for reading,
It would be really great if this dumb question gets answered.

Hi guys,

I have a 182GB SSD as my OS drive, it contains only Windows and Office. My other files and games are on another SSD.

So, I was actually wondering that is this much space good enough for many years to come or ill need to buy a bigger drive, considering the fact that it currently has 80GB free.

This thought has really been troubling me as I heard about Microsoft dropping there new AI updates, so will my SSD at least last for maybe 4-5 years receiving regular Windows updates?

Thank you for reading,
It would be really great if this dumb question gets answered.
Keep an eye on free space as your running your stuff.

If you move down into the 30GB area you might want to put a larger ssd on your shopping list.

Also do a little house cleaning on a regular basis.

Reactions: Lafong
May 25, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

128GB isn't that much in terms of storage for your C drive, in 2024, you should look at something that has 250GB at the very least or 500GB.
I respect your opinion sir 🙂
But I will only be running OS on this drive no games and nothing, so will it last for a while considering that I do regular Windows updates and nothing else.
Thank you

May 25, 2024
Keep an eye on free space as your running your stuff.

If you move down into the 30GB area you might want to put a larger ssd on your shopping list.

Also do a little house cleaning on a regular basis.
I actually am precisely monitoring every single thing that is taking up my space, but as of now 36GB is used by Windows and 3GB by users folder and a few by other stuff, so should I be fine?
Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I actually am precisely monitoring every single thing that is taking up mu space, but as of now 36GB is used by Windows and 3 GB by users folder and a few by other stuff, so should I be fine?
Thanks
Regarding drive size...that's all up to you.

If you can keep it within bounds in a 128GB drive, good.
For most users, that takes more maintenance than a larger drive.

It absolutely would not work for me.

My current C drive is ~250GB consumed, in a 1TB SSD. Just OS and applications (no games).

May 25, 2024
Regarding drive size...that's all up to you.

If you can keep it within bounds in a 128GB drive, good.
For most users, that takes more maintenance than a larger drive.

It absolutely would not work for me.

My current C drive is ~250GB consumed, in a 1TB SSD. Just OS and applications (no games).
Well in my defence, i've ran windows 10 on a 63GB drive with 20 free, so is there something that makes Windows use more space when there is more disk space available and not use much when not available?