[SOLVED] Is my stock cooler pre-applied thermal paste working??

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi I have recently built my first gaming rig. My cpu is Ryzen 3 3100. While assembling I have attached and removed the stock cooler many times because I couldn't get all 4 screws to fit properly. After that eventually it was done by closing the screws in cross pattern. But during that I removed and placed the wraith stealth cooler at least 3-4 times. I didn't create any mess so the paste wan't spread anywhere except above the cpu. Now Currently My idle cpu temp is 50C and on gaming it's ~70C. Sometimes it touches 75C. I checked this processor reviews that its idle temp is very low. But at the same time it never goes above 75C. at least for now. How can I know that the pre-applied paste is doing its job? should I be worried about this?

Thanks.

Solution
MSI b450 tomahawk max
my recommendation if u dont do this:
  1. update all drivers, chipset , and widows...
  2. update bios with last drivers
  3. in bios find this

• Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0 if u have
disabling PBO if is auto means off
4. in control panel power plan > ryzen balanced
that its :)

bishopi5

Distinguished
Idle temps are deffintely high, the thermal paste would not wear off because you kept replacing the heatsink, its only ever touching the CPU itself everytime anyway. I would be more worried about the pressure my best guess is the cooler is deffintely not tight enough, considering the troubles you had earlier getting all 4 screws in place

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Idle temps are deffintely high, the thermal paste would not wear off because you kept replacing the heatsink, its only ever touching the CPU itself everytime anyway. I would be more worried about the pressure my best guess is the cooler is deffintely not tight enough, considering the troubles you had earlier getting all 4 screws in place
I think all 4 screws are tight as I can't make it tighter much. And I checked that all of them are placed. For idle temps I'm getting very mixed answers. Many says that idle temps doesn't matter and at 50C you shoudn't be worried. Not sure what to do here.

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi I have recently built my first gaming rig. My cpu is Ryzen 3 3100. While assembling I have attached and removed the stock cooler many times because I couldn't get all 4 screws to fit properly. After that eventually it was done by closing the screws in cross pattern. But during that I removed and placed the wraith stealth cooler at least 3-4 times. I didn't create any mess so the paste wan't spread anywhere except above the cpu. Now Currently My idle cpu temp is 50C and on gaming it's ~70C. Sometimes it touches 75C. I checked this processor reviews that its idle temp is very low. But at the same time it never goes above 75C. at least for now. How can I know that the pre-applied paste is doing its job? should I be worried about this?

Thanks.
for ryzen and stock cooler temp are fine...did u do some setting in bios and choose in power plain ryzen balance ?

dimtodim

Reputable
MSI b450 tomahawk max
  3. in bios find this

• CPPC = Enabled

Solution

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
  3. in bios find this

• CPPC = Enabled
I'll try this sure. Thanks.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
  3. in bios find this

• CPPC = Enabled
Is there anything in this settings are more delicate? I don't know what those settings do actually so I have to research about those. I don't wanna break anything:)

dimtodim

Reputable
Is there anything in this settings are more delicate? I don't know what those settings do actually so I have to research about those. I don't wanna break anything:)
u dont broke anything that settings control voltage in cpu. on default u can reach around 1.4 that is pretty high and that is reason why temp jumping up when u loading and testing cpu... next thing what u must to do buy some good air cooler if u dont have air condition in room think about that :) and be happy with that temps for now.

ps i have same settings for my ryzen 9 3900x :) take a care

Reactions: RajTheGeek

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
u dont broke anything that settings control voltage in cpu. on default u can reach around 1.4 that is pretty high and that is reason why temp jumping up when u loading and testing cpu... next thing what u must to do buy some good air cooler if u dont have air condition in room think about that :) and be happy with that temps for now.

Thanks mate

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020

Hi @dimtodim I tried all those settings. The idle temp I think it got around 3C lower I think. It stays around ~47C. Still I can't see a major improvement. It should be lower. like ~40C not more than that considering what I saw on the internet with ryzen 3100. Also in PPC adjustment there were 2 more options. NX and SVM mode. NX us currently enabled and SVM is is disabled. What should I do? also can you tell me what CPPC, CPPC preferred cores, Global C-state and PPC does? I can't find a proper description properly on the internet. Thanks.

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi @dimtodim I tried all those settings. The idle temp I think it got around 3C lower I think. It stays around ~47C. Still I can't see a major improvement. It should be lower. like ~40C not more than that considering what I saw on the internet with ryzen 3100. Also in PPC adjustment there were 2 more options. NX and SVM mode. NX us currently enabled and SVM is is disabled. What should I do? also can you tell me what CPPC, CPPC preferred cores, Global C-state and PPC does? I can't find a proper description properly on the internet. Thanks.
try this go in power plain and change plan settings then change advance power settings go to processor power management and change maximum processor state to 99% apply and restart pc

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
try this go in power plain and change plan settings then change advance power settings go to processor power management and change maximum processor state to 99% apply and restart pc
Currently minimum is set to 99. so both minimum and maximum at 99%? I tried that but didn't see any difference.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi @dimtodim my idle temps are okay but while gaming there's no difference. I'm playing far cry 5 in medium settings 1600*900 resolution but the temp is ~71C. Actually my gpu is old(750ti OC) and waiting for new budget gpu to come. But my question is, if I'm getting ~71C at medium settings in 2018's game I wonder what will happen in the future. The ryzen 3100 is a $100 budget cpu and what I saw the other ryzen 3100 builds their both idle and gaming temp were lower than mine. Someone used the same ryzen 3100 and same pc case I'm using from India here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plMQ0EhmoE
on his build he was getting around 60C at 40W on Apex legends. I'm getting around 69C at 40W same at Apex legends. 8-10C difference.

Also I forgot to mention that while building my rig I removed and re-attached the stock cooler 3-4 times as I had trouble installing all 4 screws.. Do you think because of this I'm getting higher temps? The cooler had pre-applied thermal paste.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi @dimtodim my idle temps are okay but while gaming there's no difference. I'm playing far cry 5 in medium settings 1600*900 resolution but the temp is ~71C. Actually my gpu is old(750ti OC) and waiting for new budget gpu to come. But my question is, if I'm getting ~71C at medium settings in 2018's game I wonder what will happen in the future. The ryzen 3100 is a $100 budget cpu and what I saw the other ryzen 3100 builds their both idle and gaming temp were lower than mine. Someone used the same ryzen 3100 and same pc case I'm using from India here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plMQ0EhmoE
on his build he was getting around 60C at 40W on Apex legends. I'm getting around 69C at 40W same at Apex legends. 8-10C difference.

Also I forgot to mention that while building my rig I removed and re-attached the stock cooler 3-4 times as I had trouble installing all 4 screws.. Do you think because of this I'm getting higher temps? The cooler had pre-applied thermal paste.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
every time when u remove pc cooler u must use new termal paste and clean old with 99% alcohol