News Is Nvidia Already Discontinuing the RTX 2070 Super?

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I was one of those people who jumped on a leftover GTX1080. To this day, 2 years after RTX was released, I still can't get a better dollar to performance ratio.

I don't know about you guys, but my value metric is still being judged by pre-Bitcoin standards. And there is nothing Nvidia can possibly do to change that for me, or my wallet. The GTX1080 works fine on Adobe. The GTX780 before it, due to its enormous memory bandwidth, worked fine too. If the goal is to coerce exorbitant spending for gaming, they're going to push people into next gen consoles instead.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I got a 1070 at $350 well before the cryptocurrency craze doubled the price years ago. GPU prices are still elevated. I'd like to pick up a 2070 (or even a 3070), but I don't understand the current pricing. A next-gen game console is a better value than an Nvidia card right now, and the games aren't broken ports on the console side.

I mostly want to upgrade because of Blender. There are very few games worth purchasing. Most games these days are monetization schemes or gambling applications.

Reactions: PapaCrazy

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I was one of those people who jumped on a leftover GTX1080. To this day, 2 years after RTX was released, I still can't get a better dollar to performance ratio.

I don't know about you guys, but my value metric is still being judged by pre-Bitcoin standards. And there is nothing Nvidia can possibly do to change that for me, or my wallet. The GTX1080 works fine on Adobe. The GTX780 before it, due to its enormous memory bandwidth, worked fine too. If the goal is to coerce exorbitant spending for gaming, they're going to push people into next gen consoles instead.
True, I got an used mined GTX1080 for 300 USD as soon as the mining boom was over, when new ones were about 700$+ in my country . To this day, my GTX 1080 works fine. Though I might upgrade my GPU if I decide to go UWQHD. Until then am happy with my card. New ones today cost a bomb compared to GTX era.

I got a 1070 at $350 well before the cryptocurrency craze doubled the price years ago. GPU prices are still elevated. I'd like to pick up a 2070 (or even a 3070), but I don't understand the current pricing. A next-gen game console is a better value than an Nvidia card right now, and the games aren't broken ports on the console side.

I mostly want to upgrade because of Blender. There are very few games worth purchasing. Most games these days are monetization schemes or gambling applications.
I agree that prices for a given level of performance are still higher than they probably should be at this point considering what the 10-series was offering four years ago, but it could also be argued that Nvidia shifted product names to encourage people to move up to higher price brackets than they would have otherwise considered paying for. The 2070 was more of a 1080 successor, while the 2060 was more of a 1070 successor, even if the performance gains weren't exactly all that compelling. The process node was only a slight improvement over what the 10-series was built on, so not getting big performance improvements at a given price level could probably be expected.

In any case, the SUPER-series did adjust that a bit, with a slightly cut-down 2070 with 95% of the performance available for around $400 as the 2060 SUPER. That card can be around 35-40% faster than a 1070, plus the addition of new hardware for features like raytracing and upscaling, which could make it a somewhat reasonable upgrade for someone shopping in that price range. And performance close to a 1070 can now be had for around $230 with the 1660 SUPER, albeit with less VRAM. Of course, at this point, one might as well wait to see what the next generation of hardware has to offer unless a new graphics card is needed right away.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have a GTX 1080 as well. It's treated me good. I am hoping that the RTX 3000 series will be a good size performance jump over the RTX 2000 series, as the GTX 1000 series was over the GTX 900 series cards. If that's the case I would either get the RTX 3080 or maybe even the RTX 3070. Or see what AMD will be trying to peddle. Agreed that we need Intel in the hunt, for some 3 way consumer action.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I have a GTX 1080 as well. It's treated me good. I am hoping that the RTX 3000 series will be a good size performance jump over the RTX 2000 series, as the GTX 1000 series was over the GTX 900 series cards. If that's the case I would either get the RTX 3080 or maybe even the RTX 3070. Or see what AMD will be trying to peddle. Agreed that we need Intel in the hunt, for some 3 way consumer action.
I feel that the current RTX 2xxx series was never meant to be a good upgrade if you are already using a Pascal card, i.e. GTX 1080. The performance improvement is great for a half node improvement, but its still not a huge jump. From Pascal to Ampere, its a full node upgrade and should see significant performance improvement between the 2. For those looking to try out RT, I feel this should be the right time since the current RTX 2xxx series barely offered enough hardware to give users a good RT experience. Generally there are significant compromise to performance just to run RT.

rebuilder

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

JESUS...I'm still running a GTX 1070 that I got for 350.00 due to the fact I was told the GTX 1080 would drop... hahaha was I lied to, now (8/6/2020) the 1080's are STILL around $700.00... forget about me even thinking of the RTX and now there going to pop with the Ampere based cards... Like @OldMarine said, they're just out for the bucks.

Who said he is leaving Intel?
scroll down to that bit of news.

sources.
but also mention that even w/o the sources there are hitns to him leaving Intel.

Killing the team does not make sense. I would rather think the team may be merged/ integrated/ rebranded with Raja taking on a bigger role.

see link above. just scroll below the raja part.

im nto saying its 100% true, but signs point to it atm.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
just the page that google showed me. the actual links in it are to intel sites.
Correct, but nothing in the intel links says anything as Koduri leaving. He just didnt get a promotion, but neither did he get demoted. Its all AdoreTVs sources that has been telling him about it.

X86 will eventually be competed by ARM atleast to some level, and if Intel does not have datacenter GPUs, they will be in a huge mess. Nvidia and AMD will overtake them. Doubtful he might leave. But then anything can happen :)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
“we believe that right now is a terrible time to buy a graphics card, especially in the high-end segment”

Fast forward to Ampere‘s release: “Don’t think about it. JUST BUY IT!”

Let's hope so. The reason it's a terrible time to buy now is because Ampere and Big Navi are a month to 3 away. Let's be realistic, if you're in the market for an x70 or higher level card and you don't want to upgrade to Ampere after the announcement along with all the people with 4 year old 1080ti's who saw no reason to upgrade to Turing, pc gaming is going to be in trouble. AMD is not going to save us here. The price/performance needle needs to see some real improvement with Ampere, that we didn't see with Turing.