[SOLVED] Is overclocking i9 10900k to 5.1 Ghz on all cores worthwhile? (regarding video games performance)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XCUT

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
I've seen several comparisons on the Internet, and some tests show that the difference is merely a few fps, whilst others show that it goes over 10 fps when overclocked.

Anyone have had any experience with overclocked 10900k?

Solution
100MHz increase is only roughly @ a 3% increase. If you are somewhere around 200fps max output on the cpu, figure that's only averaging a 6fps increase. By the time you factor in gpu limits and dropping that output to 100-150fps, it's even less of a gain.

So figure a 4.7-5.1GHz all core will get you roughly 10 extra fps ± on average. And that's IF you have the cooling to allow that, you are looking at 250w+ out of that cpu with all cores jammed. Biggest aios are minimum recommended, biggest air is iffy, full custom loop is advised.

As to motherboards, if you plan on that kind of OC, don't skimp. It's not worth it. For just an all core boost, a good midrange board is fine. I'd not recommend the budget boards at all for that cpu, they...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm afraid I didn't get it. What 13.5 fps?
The minimum number is not typically seen, but those are fps drops I presume, so you want to avoid them.
My bad, I was looking at 10980XE @ 4.8 vs 10900K @ 5.1 when I came up with that 13.5 fps difference. I didn't realize that the 4.8 CPU was actually a different CPU rather than the 10900K running at standard speed.

Drops are undesirable, sure, but the minimum number means that, if there's an 18fps difference at the minimum, but only a 3.5fps difference at the average framerate, you will never notice that "hey, when I got a dip for a tiny fraction of a second, I was able to tell that it was a lower framerate than the same dip for that same tiny fraction of a second when overclocked."

You will never see it. Period.

XCUT

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
1440p, with a 3080, you should be fine with just doing the all core boost. Higher the resolution, more the load gets shifted to the GPU. I would not recommend a 10900k though. If wanting intel, I wouldn't go beyond a 10700k. Amd's 5000 series are the gaming kings, for now. That will quite possibly change, in the not too distant future.
I managed to buy new 10900k for the price even lower than Ryzen 5 5600x, so I didn't see the point in taking 4 cores less.

Reactions: logainofhades
D

Deleted member 2838871

1440p, with a 3080, you should be fine with just doing the all core boost. Higher the resolution, more the load gets shifted to the GPU. I would not recommend a 10900k though. If wanting intel, I wouldn't go beyond a 10700k. Amd's 5000 series are the gaming kings, for now. That will quite possibly change, in the not too distant future.

Nothing wrong with the 10900k... and it doesn’t matter how good the 5000 series is when they aren‘t in stock anywhere unless there’s a scalper tax attached.

When you have a choice of a 10900k for $500 or a 5900/5950x for twice that price the choice is easy.

The 10900k isn't a terrible chip, just power hungry, and typically has poor price/performance.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

.... and is in stock at retail price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
100MHz increase is only roughly @ a 3% increase. If you are somewhere around 200fps max output on the cpu, figure that's only averaging a 6fps increase. By the time you factor in gpu limits and dropping that output to 100-150fps, it's even less of a gain.

So figure a 4.7-5.1GHz all core will get you roughly 10 extra fps ± on average. And that's IF you have the cooling to allow that, you are looking at 250w+ out of that cpu with all cores jammed. Biggest aios are minimum recommended, biggest air is iffy, full custom loop is advised.

As to motherboards, if you plan on that kind of OC, don't skimp. It's not worth it. For just an all core boost, a good midrange board is fine. I'd not recommend the budget boards at all for that cpu, they don't handle the power needs very well.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
And that's IF you have the cooling to allow that, you are looking at 250w+ out of that cpu with all cores jammed. Biggest aios are minimum recommended, biggest air is iffy, full custom loop is advised.
There is no game even in Theory that would use as much power as an AVX stress test.
Don't get your benchmarks confused.
While the O/C 10900k under a stress test can reach 250W (here 310 for the whole system)
We see for gaming, THAT DOES INCLUDE THE GPU, it's 430w
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/18.html
For comparison the O/C 5600x uses 380w for the whole system
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/19.html

logainofhades

Titan
Nothing wrong with the 10900k... and it doesn’t matter how good the 5000 series is when they aren‘t in stock anywhere unless there’s a scalper tax attached.

When you have a choice of a 10900k for $500 or a 5900/5950x for twice that price the choice is easy.

I can walk into Microcenter, right now, and get either, at retail. Not that everyone has that luxury, but it is possible for people to get them at retail.

I certainly hope a 16 core chip newest gen chip is more than a last gen 10 core chip.

10900k is same price as a 3900x here.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I can walk into Microcenter, right now, and get either, at retail. Not that everyone has that luxury, but it is possible for people to get them at retail.

You should start scalping them then since you can buy them at will. 🙄🙄

I certainly hope a 16 core chip newest gen chip is more than a last gen 10 core chip.

10900k is same price as a 3900x here.

I never said it wouldn’t be more expensive. I was just pointing out it’s not worth $800 more than the 10900k which was the going scalper rate in the USA when I built mine in December. It doesn’t matter how good a product is when it’s not in stock and can only be found with a ridiculous scalper tax attached. It’s funny how Intel gained market share last quarter despite being the “inferior” product. 😂😂😂

Not to mention we were not even talking about a 5900x/5950x. The OP literally said they got the 10900k, for less than a 5600x.

👍

Latest posts