Is overclocking my laptop good or bad?

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Overclocking will reduce your unplugged battery time, and increase heat.

If you're plugged into the wall, and your temperatures are fine you're in the clear, laptops have MUCH tighter thermal limits that desktops.

KClaus

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
If you evaluate the fact that a laptop is so compressed, the thermal output is going to sit stagnant inside such a tight space, maybe if you increase your multiplier slightly, and see how much you can get away with without adjusting the Voltage, it can be done, but as Azathoth said, temperatures are the key player here, and the fact your on a laptop, hinders major overclocks. Let us know how you get on!

I would not bother overclock a "store bought" lappie .... just too little to be gained. The people who make it for Lenovo, are chasing higher margins so every effort is made to reduce cost and weight. That means everything that "isn't in the ad" will be cheapest available. That means heat sinks, fans etc will be at the bare minimum.

I do overclock all of our lappies but each one is a Clvo, custom built to our specifications.

Not all laptops are created equal. Gains can be substantial enough to bother, temperatures on a 8 pound Clevo OC'd with large copper heat sinks and fans will be less than a store bought Lenovo @ stock. Safe overclocking temps come recommended by distributor.

The other thing is ... is everything soldered to the board or can you take it apart ? I have cleaned out lappies and found stuffed with cat hair, dust, dandruff (guessing) and cookie crumbs. Fan removal is generally required before you can uses compressed air and small brush to clean HSs. On many store bought ones, that's not possible.

Noforus

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016

mine will kinda heat up when i use it for like 6 hours on high performance, is that good enough?