[SOLVED] Is PCPartPicker incorrect about the compatibility between these 2 parts?

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Im building a new $1,000 PC Build for VR gaming, and PCPartpicker is giving my an incompatibility warning when I try to pair the Ryzen 5 3600x CPU and the MSI B450 Tomahawk. I know these parts are compatible, I see several people with builds pairing these 2 parts. Is the website making an error, or is there something I do not know?

Solution
Alright, so its a necessary warning for what may be a very minimal risk.
Well, it should be no risk on boards that have supported the Ryzen 3000 series from the start, like MSI's "Max" lineup. The Max boards are just a very minor update of the original versions, and their main feature is support for Ryzen 3000 without requiring a BIOS update.

Even the non-Max versions of many of MSI's B450 boards included support for flashing the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed, so those could be okay too, though they require some additional steps when assembling the system.

Most other B450 boards were originally designed for the 2000-series processors though, and don't include a way to update the BIOS for the newer 3000-series...

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
From the little he has said he could be looking at the non max version so it would need a bios update first.
Op try the tomahawk max version that warning should go away.
I tried. It doesn't seem to like the MAX version either.
Right.
Just means that SOME of those boards may need a BIOS update to work with that CPU.
Oh ok. So is it confusing the MAX version w/ the regular version? If so, should I just disregard the warning.

The B450 Tomahawk Max should support the 3000-series processors right out of the box, though even the non-Max version of that board includes the functionality to update its BIOS without requiring a compatible CPU.

PCPartPicker lists that warning for all B450 motherboards though. As they say, "some" B450 boards will need a BIOS update, but they haven't gone through and white-listed the ones that don't.

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
The B450 Tomahawk Max should support the 3000-series processors right out of the box, though even the non-Max version of that board includes the functionality to update its BIOS without requiring a compatible CPU.

PCPartPicker lists that warning for all B450 motherboards though. As they say, "some" B450 boards will need a BIOS update, but they haven't gone through and white-listed the ones that don't.

Well, it should be no risk on boards that have supported the Ryzen 3000 series from the start, like MSI's "Max" lineup. The Max boards are just a very minor update of the original versions, and their main feature is support for Ryzen 3000 without requiring a BIOS update.

Even the non-Max versions of many of MSI's B450 boards included support for flashing the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed, so those could be okay too, though they require some additional steps when assembling the system.

Most other B450 boards were originally designed for the 2000-series processors though, and don't include a way to update the BIOS for the newer 3000-series processors, unless you happen to have a supported 2000-series or older AM4 processor on-hand to perform the update with. Many of those manufactured after the 3000-series launched may have been updated to a compatible BIOS, but it's hard to tell if you might be getting older stock when ordering online. That's why giving them a new product name, like MSI did with their Max boards, is a good idea. I believe AMD still sends out loner CPUs to perform BIOS updates for those who need them, but that could potentially be another couple week delay when building the system, so it's probably best to get a board that you know should work with the processor.

Solution

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019

Most other B450 boards were originally designed for the 2000-series processors though, and don't include a way to update the BIOS for the newer 3000-series processors, unless you happen to have a supported 2000-series or older AM4 processor on-hand to perform the update with. Many of those manufactured after the 3000-series launched may have been updated to a compatible BIOS, but it's hard to tell if you might be getting older stock when ordering online. That's why giving them a new product name, like MSI did with their Max boards, is a good idea. I believe AMD still sends out loner CPUs to perform BIOS updates for those who need them, but that could potentially be another couple week delay when building the system, so it's probably best to get a board that you know should work with the processor.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS