Question is plugging a gtx 960 to a akyga b550 (litelarry 288w 12v) is good idea?

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
i only need to know is that a good idea. i already bought it for like 200 pln (50 dollars) so i need to think what should i do. should i just plug it and set power limits and undervolt it (so akyga wont explode too fast).

my cpu: amd fx 6100 (95w i tried it with oc and it was like 80-85 but lets say its max 95w)
gtx 960 is 120w (maybe more) so i definitily gonna set power limit
i think it should be fine. power comsumption should be like 215w.

i know, i know, its akyga, it even can explode without any load.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The recommended power supply for these is supposed to be 400W or better. I recall using these (960) on the CX430 power supplies all day long and actually have at least one of those systems still being used to this day.

I think it may be best to temper expectations in relation to the build itself. The FX 6100 is well over the hill, you paid the equivalent of $50 for this graphics card, don't know the other specs but would expecting them to be of a similar age. I don't see how it would be viable in relation to that system to purchase a power supply that would be the most expensive item in the build. The only reason I would see for doing so would be if you plan to be on the hunt for a replacement of the base system now.

I am not familiar with the power supply and by your own admission it is junk, so perhaps be on the lookout for something higher quality on the used market more in line with where you are headed with this system?

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
The recommended power supply for these is supposed to be 400W or better. I recall using these (960) on the CX430 power supplies all day long and actually have at least one of those systems still being used to this day.

I think it may be best to temper expectations in relation to the build itself. The FX 6100 is well over the hill, you paid the equivalent of $50 for this graphics card, don't know the other specs but would expecting them to be of a similar age. I don't see how it would be viable in relation to that system to purchase a power supply that would be the most expensive item in the build. The only reason I would see for doing so would be if you plan to be on the hunt for a replacement of the base system now.

I am not familiar with the power supply and by your own admission it is junk, so perhaps be on the lookout for something higher quality on the used market more in line with where you are headed with this system?
rest of specs is gigabyte ga 78 lmp, 16gb ram and gt 630 (overclocked to limits ).

im heading to an end. thats propably the last thing for the pc. ( not the last because it can explode ).
after that im thinking about a laptop with some ryzen cpu and radeon graphics ( i love amd ) .