Question Is RAM Speed above "officially supported" classified as "overclocked"?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Hello,

I understand Ryzen 5950X CPU has an official supported RAM speed of 3200.
I went with RAM speed of 3600. I will not be tweaking anything with this RAM other than sticking it into the motherboard.

Specs
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (AMD x570)
CPU - Ryzen 5950x
RAM - 3600Mhz

Problem
I want to get Sound Blaster AE-7 sound card, but I understand that it doesn't play nice on x570/Ryzen CPUs with RAM that are overclocked. Here is the official AMD announcement. I don't know how old this announcement is (maybe Feb 2021?). I've been researching online trying to see if there was a permanent fix, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Questions
1, Is anything above officially supported RAM speed considered "overclocked"?
  1. In worst case scenario, what would you choose? Slower RAM with 3200 instead of 3600, but having a great sound card like the AE-7? Or sticking with 3600 RAM and getting a different sound card?
  2. If you know of any recent updates to the above issue that would be great!

As always, thanks in advance for your assistance!

Jack800

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Hello All,

Just a quick update. I was not able to get a definitive answer whether a Creative AE-7 sound card would work in my system, so I decided I will utilize the motherboard's onboard audio for now. Once I get this build up and running (meaning, when these #$@!& GPUs become available again), I will go down that rabbit hole and look into getting a receiver setup.

Will keep all posted and thank you all again for your great comments, suggestions, and advice!

Hello,

I understand Ryzen 5950X CPU has an official supported RAM speed of 3200.
I went with RAM speed of 3600. I will not be tweaking anything with this RAM other than sticking it into the motherboard.

Specs
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (AMD x570)
CPU - Ryzen 5950x
RAM - 3600Mhz

Problem
I want to get Sound Blaster AE-7 sound card, but I understand that it doesn't play nice on x570/Ryzen CPUs with RAM that are overclocked. Here is the official AMD announcement. I don't know how old this announcement is (maybe Feb 2021?). I've been researching online trying to see if there was a permanent fix, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Questions
1, Is anything above officially supported RAM speed considered "overclocked"?
  1. In worst case scenario, what would you choose? Slower RAM with 3200 instead of 3600, but having a great sound card like the AE-7? Or sticking with 3600 RAM and getting a different sound card?
  2. If you know of any recent updates to the above issue that would be great!
As always, thanks in advance for your assistance!

Jack800
x570 boards had USB bugs, which should be fixed by now with bios updates (AE7 isnt related to usb bugs, that sounblaster notice is there coz they sell usb products aswell even if its different issue)
another soundblaster issue can be fixed if you switch to messaged signal interrupts
mine infinity fabric runs at 1866MHz and channel swapping was common during gaming, messaged interrupts fixed that
here is a guide on how to enable it

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
x570 boards had USB bugs, which should be fixed by now with bios updates (AE7 isnt related to usb bugs, that sounblaster notice is there coz they sell usb products aswell even if its different issue)
another soundblaster issue can be fixed if you switch to messaged signal interrupts
mine infinity fabric runs at 1866MHz and channel swapping was common during gaming, messaged interrupts fixed that
here is a guide on how to enable it
Hey kerberos_20, thanks for that information, much appreciative!
I'll keep that for future reference.