Is refurbished Hard disk good?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Usually, a refurbished product refers to one that was returned due to malfunctioning, then repaired, and now back on the market for sale. In my opinion, it's best to stay away from a refurbished hard drive.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

well some of them are just returns or new pulls too.. and I've used several with no problems. If it comes with a good warranty and not some 30-90 day thing, it's not a terrible decision. But I will agree that you are probably better off sticking with new drives.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never had a problem with a factory refurbished drive, and I repair drives myself as well, so I know that aquite a few fail due to electrical failures on the card-replace the card and they work good as new. So refurbished is not always bad, especailly with the factory refurbished seal.

Suicide is painless...........

G

The question is:
How important is your data vs. How much $$$ are you saving?

Many of these drives are likely to be returned for previous problems which may (or may not) have been adequately fixed.

They've also been through at least one more shipping cycle. If you've ever been on a UPS loading dock, you know that can't be a good thing for a complex electro-mechanical device.

There is a reason they only carry a 30 to 90 day warranty vs. 3 years for a new one. If they could make money offering a longer warranty, they probably would.

I wouldn't do it unless it was a hell of a deal, and I wasn't to concerned about what I put on it. At least until it had been in operation for a few months.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

iallwork

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Where can I get a card for my hard drive?