Question Is something "bottlenecking" my system?

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Hello everyone! I've been watching so many YouTube videos of people benchmarking games with the same GPU and CPU combo that I have, and sadly I have nowhere near the same performance. I am not aware of any errors in choosing PC components so I am turning to you in case you have a better opinion. My specs are:

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 5600x
RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
MOBO: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS

OS installed on SATA SSD Kingston SKC600 256GB
Games installed on M.2 SSD Kingston SA2000 1TB

I used a 3440x1440 monitor but I switched to 2560x1080 due to not so satisfying results - HOWEVER - I don't even see much gain from the downgrade, the FPS is more or less identical. Knowing that CPUs work better on lower resolutions I expected more performance from lowering resolution but I guess something is limiting me. If you have any idea what I am doing wrong, please tell me, any help is much appreciated! :)

Hello everyone! I've been watching so many YouTube videos of people benchmarking games with the same GPU and CPU combo that I have, and sadly I have nowhere near the same performance. I am not aware of any errors in choosing PC components so I am turning to you in case you have a better opinion. My specs are:

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 5600x
RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
MOBO: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS

OS installed on SATA SSD Kingston SKC600 256GB
Games installed on M.2 SSD Kingston SA2000 1TB

I used a 3440x1440 monitor but I switched to 2560x1080 due to not so satisfying results - HOWEVER - I don't even see much gain from the downgrade, the FPS is more or less identical. Knowing that CPUs work better on lower resolutions I expected more performance from lowering resolution but I guess something is limiting me. If you have any idea what I am doing wrong, please tell me, any help is much appreciated! :)
it might be the CPU itself that bottlenecks you for gaming, either go with a 12th/13th gen intel or a 7k ryzen series, or if you do want to stay using your board, a 5800X3D. your gpu is already doing its best to catchup with the cpu power, i would assume that it is cpu bottlenecked. Also if you ever heard "fast ram with good timings helps ryzen", it does in some context, but eversince ryzen 5k series use a unified L3 cache per die instead splitting into 4 CCX per CCD (per die), it isnt so relevant to have a faster ram with tight timings if your aim only games.

OC/PBO/Curve Optimize would help lift the bottleneck a little, there is alot of videos on youtube, you might get the best volt ffor the clock you want if you do still want to stay with your current board. sometimes even if you do get the best tune on your cpu with the method i mention above, VRM temps could throttle and made your cpu clocks back a little till the vrm cooled down.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
This is not true the video card does better the CPU still has the same limit.
The CPU can put out about the same FPS at all resolutions until it's limited by the video card.
To my knowledge, the higher the resolution the more the game becomes GPU bound, hence why even today newest and fastest CPUs are tested at 1080p to show the greatest difference. In many videos I've seen people asking for higher resolution in benchmarking and the answer is always the same, the one I just wrote. I don't even know anymore, I'm just confused that even the GPU is not pulling more frames at lower resolutions.

To my knowledge, the higher the resolution the more the game becomes GPU bound, hence why even today newest and fastest CPUs are tested at 1080p to show the greatest difference. In many videos I've seen people asking for higher resolution in benchmarking and the answer is always the same, the one I just wrote. I don't even know anymore, I'm just confused that even the GPU is not pulling more frames at lower resolutions.
The cpu determines the best fps a system can achieve. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings that fps can achieved at. The reason cpu gaming benchmarks are done at 1080p is to eliminate as much as possible any gpu limitation.

Reactions: Raikko Kiminen

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
it might be the CPU itself that bottlenecks you for gaming, either go with a 12th/13th gen intel or a 7k ryzen series, or if you do want to stay using your board, a 5800X3D. your gpu is already doing its best to catchup with the cpu power, i would assume that it is cpu bottlenecked. Also if you ever heard "fast ram with good timings helps ryzen", it does in some context, but eversince ryzen 5k series use a unified L3 cache per die instead splitting into 4 CCX per CCD (per die), it isnt so relevant to have a faster ram with tight timings if your aim only games.

OC/PBO/Curve Optimize would help lift the bottleneck a little, there is alot of videos on youtube, you might get the best volt ffor the clock you want if you do still want to stay with your current board. sometimes even if you do get the best tune on your cpu with the method i mention above, VRM temps could throttle and made your cpu clocks back a little till the vrm cooled down.
Hey there! I am super happy with my rig and I don't plan on upgrading anything just yet, especially now when the new AM5 platform is still new and expensive (MOBO, RAM and CPU alltogether) so I'll wait for a few more years before the next big upgrade. Right now, I am only concerned about not getting as good performance as other people with same PC configuration. I have my CPU clocked at 4650MHz@1.3V and GPU at 2040MHz@1V which is the best that can be achieved on these particular components. RAM is untouched, didn't change anything just left the regular 16-18-18-36. Overheating was never a problem, always below 74C. Still, I don't get as many FPS as people show in their benchmarks and I just got curios how do I "unlock" more free performance like they did.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
The cpu determines the best fps a system can achieve. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings that fps can achieved at. The reason cpu gaming benchmarks are done at 1080p is to eliminate as much as possible any gpu limitation.
"Dear diary, today I've learned..."

Noted, thanks for helping me understand that bit!