[SOLVED] Is the AMD FX 4300 really works together with ASUS M5A78L-M LX?

May 18, 2021
I have a PC with AMD Athlon II X2 260 paired with ASUS M5A78L-M LX, I mean not LX3/Plus or LX V2 or LX USB 3 but LX only motherboard. I'm planned to upgrade a CPU to FX 4300, but I'm not sure if my motherboard does support that CPU with latest BIOS. I did update the BIOS to latest now before I planned to upgrade a new CPU. Please someone tell me if my motherboard does really suport AMD FX 4300 or not with latest BIOS.

Thanks.

View: https://imgur.com/o7xR3hN

Solution
FX-4300 is supported at the 1603 level as shown in your post.
But, unless the 4300 is dirt cheap, I would not spend anything much on that platform.

One thing to look out for is motherboard vrm cooling which is the weak point of the fx motherboards.
See that you have good airflow over the motherboard.
May 18, 2021
This is one of those situations where if you are going to spend money upgrading an old system, might as well go for the FX-6300.

You could try the 8300, but that might run a little warm depending on the cooling.

But I'm not sure if the FX 6300 really supported on the ASUS M5A78L-M LX without crashing or freezing even with AMD turbo core technology turned off from BIOS because I do seen someone complaint about FX 6300 paired with that motherboard crashes when AMD turbo core technology turned on from BIOS. Should I go for FX 4300 or just go for FX 6300 for my motherboard with latest BIOS? Thanks pal.

But I'm not sure if the FX 6300 really supported on the ASUS M5A78L-M LX without crashing or freezing even with AMD turbo core technology turned off from BIOS because I do seen someone complaint about FX 6300 paired with that motherboard crashes when AMD turbo core technology turned on from BIOS. Should I go for FX 4300 or just go for FX 6300 for my motherboard with latest BIOS? Thanks pal.
It says it does with BIOS 1401. That may be the reason the other person had problems, not running the correct BIOS.

I had a 6300 on an M5a88m, a very similar motherboard, and it worked just fine. Overclocking isn't advised, of course, as the VRM's are very limited. With the M5a88m at least it would throttle and not burn up...I'm pretty sure M5a78 will too as Asus is pretty good with protections.

I'd even go with an 8320e or 8310 if you can find one (BIOS 1603 is needed) but it will probably throttle under heavy all-core work even if not overclocked.

In the end, though, for gaming none of these will be be all that good. They're just way too outdated; they needed heavy overclocking to be relevant even in their day. All of these processors are perfectly suitable for heavy overclocking, it's just this M5a78L-m board that isn't.

Last edited:
FX-4300 is supported at the 1603 level as shown in your post.
But, unless the 4300 is dirt cheap, I would not spend anything much on that platform.

One thing to look out for is motherboard vrm cooling which is the weak point of the fx motherboards.
See that you have good airflow over the motherboard.

Solution