Is The Game Industry Dropping The 60 FPS Standard?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assuming they produce the same quantity of games for a lower price, that would decrease the demand of the game:
incrdemandeq.jpg

They don't even sell out these games by some companies, so that would not be an economically wise decision for them. If they want to keep the same demand for the game with a $20 less price the quantity needs drastically increased, and if quantity increases than they might not sell all which results in a lower income to the develoeprs.

The object is to make some money (most games lose money, with a few that make a lot). The typical method used is to sell it at market price at release when buzz and excitement is high. Then discount it over time.

The whole pricing scheme is based on experience. With a lower price, do they sell enough extra copies to cover the price change? Do they even sell as much (there are some shoppers that don't even look at bargain games)? Is a pirates habits even related to the price (what is said and reality are often two different things)?

New system requirements for Assassin's Creed Unity released.

http://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-unity-system-requirements-rumoured-to-be-steep/

This game requires a GTX 680 MINIMUM??? Seriously???:ouch: Now Ubisoft is going way overboard with this. And if this game gets capped at 30 fps, well, there goes a huge chunk of their revenue.

"Caveats in place, here is what might be the system requirements for Assassin's Creed Unity:"

Read...

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
The new assasins creed gameplay fall far short of their predecessors :( I doubt Unity will be any better anyway. Neither will the optimization :p I don't think I want to play a game capped at 30 on the PC. Unless that game happens to be an interactive point and click game lol.

djazzoff

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

If it will be caped at 30 fps, u could use D3DOverrider to unlock it to 60 fps.

GeekDad63

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Can't see this happening...ubisoft took major heat about saying 30FPS is good enough. 60 has been the gold standard and if anything, like most things in tech, the bar will raised higher than that soon enough.

I don't know. If there is any time in history (and I've studied this at a university level) that would allow AC to shine with its plot, it is the intrigue and chaos of the French Revolution.

If they botch this game, they're just bad at it, not because it was hard to get right.

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Anti-piracy methods (DRM) currently affect fps.

In case you missed a post or two.

There are alternatives.

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Do you always only read part of what people write?

;)

What part of "Increased sales distribution" did you miss?

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Wow he is such an idiot! There's a big difference between 60 and 30fps. And to call the hobbit 48fps weird! He's a moron! Of course it looks weird compared to 24fps! But it looked amazing. So much smoother than the 24fps version.

LOL back at the Google, Youtube now supports 60FPS video uploads.

Now that I have seen a few videos on Youtube at 60FPS, I will say this, in a NON-interactive viewing, its something to get used to, this obviously does not apply to gaming.
However even on Youtube, its really looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.