Is the GTX 980 EVGA superoverclocked good?

Solution
Pros of a single 980:
1) You have a faster single GPU (for some applications, that is better)
2) If case size/space, heat, or power is a factor for you, a single card wins
3) You will have the option of adding a 980 in SLI later if your heart desires
4) $130 cheaper

Pros of 2x970 SLI:
1) More total GPU power, which will be better in many applications/games

I bought a EVGA 980 superclock but have not built my new system yet (other parts enroute). For me, I have a small form factor build, and although I could put two 970s in my Sugo SG10B, I prefer having the lower power and heat for now while still having the option to add a 980 later AFTER I experience the performance of the single 980, which might be good enough anyway.

I suggest...

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Like i explained to you in someone elses thread .... out of the box base and boost clocks should not be the sole factor in determing a graphics card. Aesthetics, size, cooling capabilites, overclocking potential, power ussage, price, warranty....these are all factors which should be looked at too.

I'm personally not a fan of evga cards. The evga 980's and 970's don't overclock as well as the other big brands. I don't like the way it looks and I'm not a fan of their cooling.

Also, how are you pondering and comparing gtx 970's in sli compared to an evga gtx 980 soc? base and boost clocks? You have a lot to learn..

The GTX 970sli is better performance per dollar then a gtx 980. The question you should be asking us all is, what pair of gtx 970's should you be buying ;)

GTXNvidia

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014

Thats why i'm asking you the question and yet you are not answering it, but asking me why i don't know. thats why i am asking you, if the EVGA GTX 980 super overclocked is good, if its not. I will go GTX gigabyte 970 SLI, because GTX 980 super overclocked is the cheapest gtx 980.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Pros of a single 980:
1) You have a faster single GPU (for some applications, that is better)
2) If case size/space, heat, or power is a factor for you, a single card wins
3) You will have the option of adding a 980 in SLI later if your heart desires
4) $130 cheaper

Pros of 2x970 SLI:
1) More total GPU power, which will be better in many applications/games

I bought a EVGA 980 superclock but have not built my new system yet (other parts enroute). For me, I have a small form factor build, and although I could put two 970s in my Sugo SG10B, I prefer having the lower power and heat for now while still having the option to add a 980 later AFTER I experience the performance of the single 980, which might be good enough anyway.

I suggest you review the many benchmarks published for 970s and 980s vs other cards, and compare that to your current GPU and the performance increase you'd like to have. That way you can make an intelligent decision.

On the EVGA 980 SC, I am very comfortable with my purchase. Out-of-the-box boost clocks are reported to be even higher than the very handsome 1342MHz published by EVGA...and the reference cooling design is a proven good one (and I happen to like its looks, too). I also prefer the blower style to minimize heat within the case.

Best of luck to you!

Solution