Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
My older brother is going to give me his i7 4790k as he has upgraded his cpu, I am a videographer who uses premier Pro, however due to a very bad CPU have had to edit using my universities media equipment, and I need to know is it good enough to edit and colour grade high quality 1080p footage (from a Eos 80d) with smooth playback times at 60fps in 2019. The supporting hardware being 16gb of ddr3 ram and a gtx 960 2gb version. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: christianbueno

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
The i7 4790k is a fairly significant increase in CPU performance from your existing CPU. What is the make/model of your motherboard?

I currently have a ga-h81m-h motherboard, it has a 1150 socket so I am aware this CPU is the best I am able to get for this, I was just worried that I may have to decline the CPU offer and upgrade my whole system in order to get high end 1080p editing performance as the generation 4 lineup of CPUs are roughly 4 years old now. However if that was the case, I have no funds to upgrade my system which is why I need to know how this CPU will perform as it is basically my only current option.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
With hyperthreading enabled, the new CPU will be able to run 8 threads, vice 4 threads you can run now. Premiere Pro will take advantage of those resources.

Are you using the stock Intel heatsink with your system? If so, I would replace it with an aftermarket model. Regardless, you'll have to replace the thermal compound between the heatsink and CPU when you swap them.

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
With hyperthreading enabled, the new CPU will be able to run 8 threads, vice 4 threads you can run now. Premiere Pro will take advantage of those resources.

Are you using the stock Intel heatsink with your system? If so, I would replace it with an aftermarket model. Regardless, you'll have to replace the thermal compound between the heatsink and CPU when you swap them.

Yes I am using a stock cooler, and am planning to upgrade yet again am running on a very tight budget, are there any coolers you can recommend that aren't to big as the case and motherboard aren't the largest (the motherboard being what appears to be a mini or at least smaller than full size model), that are also fairly budget.

Also is there any way I can tell prior to recieving the cpu the preformence boost for fairly intensive 1080p content, as I will be recieving it in a months time.

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
What is the make/model of your case?

I have used this model in a couple low-profile builds and have been very happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-L12S-Low-Profile-Cooler-Quiet/dp/B075SF5QQ8

See here for a CPU model comparison:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/2384vs2310

Actually on a second Inspection as my pc case is sort of hidden away, yes the motherboard is a fairly smaller than full sized one but the case appears to be a fairly good size (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ATHNCQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_u0WCCbDHB3W4W), also there is allot of dust that has accumulated in the case, what is the fastest method without taking everything out to sort this as I am not to tech savvy?

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
You have a mATX motherboard. The case can accommodate many aftermarket heatsinks. What is your max budget for a replacement?

Well I live in the UK so everything I buy is in pounds, but I guess in terms of dollars roughly 20-35, preferably 20-30, but I know this is a very limiting budget, this is as I'm already stretched out for money currently and this is basically all I will have free for a CPU cooler. Also my power supply is a 500 watt bronze 80+, will this be good enough?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
PSU should be fine. Stand by.

Either of these would be an improvement:

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
PSU should be fine. Stand by.

Either of these would be an improvement:

Thanks so much for all the help, will probably go with the BE QUIET cooler, just a final couple things do you know the power consumption of this and also what's the easiest way to remove the dust from my system without removing the parts? As there is allot of dust in there. But seriously I couldn't have asked for better help with all this.

christianbueno

Reputable
Nov 6, 2016
hello pas, greetings. what about a new Graphics Card. what isyour best recommendation for the same i7-4790k processor , it is for video edition , graphic design. Currently I have a GeForce GT 610.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS