• DD4 8GB x 4
  • 3 Front Fans
  • BenQ XL2411P
  • Asus 21 inch normal monitor
  • 1 x NVM M2
  • 1 x SSD
  • 1 x 4Tb Barracuda HDD

Power Supply Unit: SilverStone Strider Essential 80Plus ST65F-ES230 650W

I'm thinking about replacing GTX 1070 with GIGABYTE RTX™ 2080 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB.
Do I need to get a new PSU? I'm not thinking about overclocking CPU or GPU.

Solution
So, fairly new then. Yeah, I'd probably at least try it. It's not a horrible power supply, it's just not great quality from what I can tell. I don't see any legitimate reviews of the Essential series Strider 650w so it's hard to say for sure.

With 50a on the 12v rail though, that is really only a 600w unit, not a 650w. I'd look to replace it as soon as you realistically can afford a better model.

So, fairly new then. Yeah, I'd probably at least try it. It's not a horrible power supply, it's just not great quality from what I can tell. I don't see any legitimate reviews of the Essential series Strider 650w so it's hard to say for sure.

With 50a on the 12v rail though, that is really only a 600w unit, not a 650w. I'd look to replace it as soon as you realistically can afford a better model.

Solution
It looks like it's designed in the days of S12II, so it's a really old design that should not power modern components. However, Silverstone has a decent to good reputation when it comes to power supplies, so it is probably not far off from the S12II. With that being said, you don't have to replace it immediately, but you need to disable Haswell C states on the BIOS. It should be the first thing you upgrade, though, not the GPU. The GPU should come after the PSU upgrade.

It looks like it's designed in the days of S12II, so it's a really old design that should not power modern components. However, Silverstone has a decent to good reputation when it comes to power supplies, so it is probably not far off from the S12II. With that being said, you don't have to replace it immediately, but you need to disable Haswell C states on the BIOS. It should be the first thing you upgrade, though, not the GPU. The GPU should come after the PSU upgrade.
Actually, you DON'T need to disable "Haswell C-states" because first of all there is no such thing as "Haswell C-states" and secondly, it's not ALL of the C-states that cause problems on Haswell and newer Intel systems when used with non-compliant or group regulated power supplies. It is ONLY the C6 and C7 states, and it is only in certain circumstances. I do however, as a general rule, recommend disabling the C6 and C7 states in the BIOS if you are using an older group regulated power supply with any Haswell or newer Intel platform simply to avoid the CHANCE of having a problem.

Actually, you DON'T need to disable "Haswell C-states" because first of all there is no such thing as "Haswell C-states" and secondly, it's not ALL of the C-states that cause problems on Haswell and newer Intel systems when used with non-compliant or group regulated power supplies. It is ONLY the C6 and C7 states, and it is only in certain circumstances. I do however, as a general rule, recommend disabling the C6 and C7 states in the BIOS if you are using an older group regulated power supply with any Haswell or newer Intel platform simply to avoid the CHANCE of having a problem.
OK, fair enough. I was using vague terms, thanks for clearing that up.

I repeat, the Silverstone ST65F-ES230 is a group regulated design, so do it.

Reactions: Darkbreeze