Question Is the RAM in 3200MHz compatible with the i9-7980xe

Nov 18, 2022
Hello
I recently bought several parts to assemble a new machine:
  • i9 7980XE
  • Asrock Taichi X299
  • 2x (corsair vengeance lpx 32gb (2x16gb) ddr4 3200mhz c16)
  • corsair rm750
So I mounted all these components inside an Antec P101 Silent, but when I plugged in the RAM I got the error code "53", as well as 3 beeps via the speaker output of the motherboard. For the different error code: error code 53 means that there is a problem with the memory and the 3 beeps confirm it (3 beep on a UEFI friend card means a problem with the memory). To try to solve this problem I reset the CMOS battery (several times), without success.
Since my attempts at resolution did not work I went to check on the Intel website what was the maximum frequency compatible with my processor and I noticed that it was compatible only with RAM of frequency less than 2666MHz.
To test this I found a bar of Crucial in 2666 MHz (Amazon link of La Barette).
When I plugged in the strip, the PC started normally and it worked very well so far. The problem is that I bought 64 GB of RAM in 3200MHz and I only want to resell them or exchange them for 2666MHz as a last resort. I therefore appeal to you because my research on the web was unsuccessful. For now I tried to create an XMP profile in 2666MHz for Corsair RAM but unfortunately it did not work either.

So I would like to know if it was possible to use my RAM in 3200 MHz with my current configuration and if so how? Otherwise would you know of any other solution to lower the frequency of the RAM so that I can use it with my configuration.

If you need image or any more precision do not hesitate to let me know.
Kind regards
Guillaume.

Intel's native memory support speed for the CPU is irrelevant. That is only the native speed at which it supports by default without enabling the XMP profile in the BIOS. Your board supports up to 4400mhz +.

I would try a single stick of RAM, and if that doesn't work, try a different one.

Which slots, exactly, are you populating? Since you have two separate kits, have you tried using only one kit as they may not be compatible with each other even if they are the exact same kit model? 3200mhz memory should work fine in that machine so long as the memory is compatible with the board and with each other.

Once you get it to POST, if you can, it would be good to verify what BIOS version is currently installed as well.

Did you purchase these parts new or used?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Nov 18, 2022
Hello Darkbreeze,

First of all thanks for your answer

So I tried to connect each stick one by one to slot A1 and each time I have the consecutive codes "15-60-15-60-53" and it won't post. I've try to plug one stick on the B1 Slot and put the crucial ram on the A1 slot to make it start once i was in Bios i was able to see the stick in the ram tweaker but it wasn't active in windows. I couldn't change his frequency or activate the XMP cause i think the ram wasn't enable. I've checked the version of the bios and it seems that there is no new version after the L1.63a or P1.40 for the x299 taichi. i've buy the mobo and the cpu used.

Best reguards
Guillaume

So, for now at least, I'd forget about the slower memory. We want to make the Corsair DIMMs work since they should, and they are faster.

Try only one DIMM in the C1 slot. If that doesn't work, try the D1 slot. If that doesn't work, try EVERY slot that ends in "1". In between tries, and I know this is a PITA but do it, because it MIGHT be necessary, shut down, unplug the power supply, remove the CMOS battery, press the power button on the case for like ten seconds, then put the CMOS battery back, plug it back in and power on so that the hardware tables are reset each time. Quad channel boards are VERY finicky when it comes to memory configurations and I'll be 100% honest with you when I say that using two different kits, even though they are the same model of kit, may still not work. I've been through this before a number of times both on my own workbench and on this forum, and more than once using four or more DIMMs on an x299 board would not work unless ALL of the memory came in one kit, together, which means they were tested at the factory for compatiiblity before being boxed up and shipped out.

This could also be a CPU/motherboard problem. It might be very much worth it to take the CPU back off and triple check to see that there are no bent pins on the CPU socket. Even just one pin being a tiny bit out of place could cause memory problems.

And you are not even REMOTELY close on the BIOS version. There are like ten versions newer than what you have, and what you have doesn't even look like it's a valid BIOS version for that board. Version 2.5 is the latest stable version for the X299 Taichi.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/X299 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

And I would update to directly to that version. Do not use the "Windows" BIOS updater. Use BIOS flashback on the back panel of the motherboard, where there is a USB port and flashback button specifically for updating without the need to even have a CPU installed OR use Instant flash from within the BIOS. Flashback is the preferred method.

Nov 18, 2022
Hey,
Sorry for not replying to you for a while,
So i've try to update the bios and it happened to work finally. Now my ram is working with the xmp profile at 3200mhz but when i did the update my cpu frequency is reduced. It went from 4.4ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 to 3.7ghz. I wanted to know if you knew how to restore the original frequency.
thanks for your help
Best reguards
Guillaume

Try doing a hard reset of the BIOS as outlined below, then reconfigure the XMP profile and other custom settings. Also, go to the product page for your motherboard and download and install all of the most recent drivers for chipset (.inf), network adapter and audio afterwards. Then restart. Go into the power options in Windows and set the plan to performance. Then in the advanced power options of that plan change the minimum processor power management setting to 8% and verify that the maximum is set to 100%. Afterwards, back to the BIOS and I would make sure Intel speedstep is enabled and IF there is a setting for Intel Speed shift, that it is disabled.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.