[SOLVED] Is the Ryzen 5 3600 still a good CPU?.

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
Hi all,
So I noticed a video that Linus Tech Tips made last year in October, so it's been a year now, and Gamers Nexus also made a video on it. It's on the Ryzen 5 3600. I am looking for a good CPU for video editing and gaming (that will run GTA 5 for the PC).

Have you guys seen the videos yet?.
Linus Tech Tips
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoxUrCc_Ck&t=329s

Gamers Nexus
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbNeht4tAE

"
Is there something better than the 3600 now a days now that it's been a whole year later?, or is the 3600 still a good investment?.

Solution
Ram is at 2133MHz, enable XMP to bring it up to 3000MHz.
You have a bunch of background stuff also running, if that affected the UB test, guaranteed it's going to affect the video editing.

You have a Dell. There's only so much you can do with it. It runs a proprietary bios, so pretty much throw out the ability to upgrade to just Any cpu in 9th Gen, you'll only be able to upgrade to what the Dell bios allows. Which is generally only those cpus that come stock in that model line. Which also generally means no K-squ cpus.

Changing motherboards to fit Ryzen means you no longer have a Dell, so you'll need to buy a new registration for Windows. You 'might' be able to squeeze a 9700 non-K in there, but that's a long shot.

Dells were not...
Is there something better than the 3600 now a days now that it's been a whole year later?, or is the 3600 still a good investment?.
Alder lake is going to be released in a month, but it might increase the price of the platform too much if you can hold of some time you could make the comparison against that.
Other than that sure the 3600 is fine and will do anything you want, GTA V is crap and can run very badly on the highest end systems so no guarantee there.

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
Alder lake is going to be released in a month, but it might increase the price of the platform too much if you can hold of some time you could make the comparison against that.
Other than that sure the 3600 is fine and will do anything you want, GTA V is crap and can run very badly on the highest end systems so no guarantee there.

I currently have the (Dell Inspiron 3670) Core i5 9400 CPU which is 2.90Ghz, with 16GB's of RAM, and I also got the nVidia Geforce GTX 1660 6GB card.

Problem is, video editing lags a bit, so I'm looking for something faster. I use Premiere Elements 13.

What do you guys recommend changing?.

IS the
Intel Core i5-10400
a better CPU for the money?. it's only $280 right now lol.

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
lags a bit at what stage? When scrapping through material? you need to upgrade your disks/ram a different CPU isn't going to change much.
If you have long rendering times the 3600 is going to help.
When im moving the Timeline Marker through the gameplay footage of GTA 5 it's not buttery smooth at all, it lags a bit and I have to stretch the footage out in order to play back the footage in order to see what I want to cut out (no matter what you have to do this I know) but I've seen faster computers do this more efficiently, correct me if I am wrong.

I have a 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD installed (Windows 11 on the SSD) what should I change?. Should I get a 2TB SSD instead then?.

I have a 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD installed (Windows 11 on the SSD) what should I change?. Should I get a 2TB SSD instead then?.
It's not about size but about how fast your scrap disk and your ram can exchange data.
Faster computers usually also have better I/O ,ram controller, bandwidth and so on so they are usually smoother but if you combine them with slower ssd and ram they are still going to lag.

May 21, 2021
My brother is a video editor and I just upgraded his system from a core i7-6700k to a ryzen 9 3900x and add-in effects that used to take over an hour are done in 12-15 minutes. I’d say get at least a 3700x and preferably a 3900x or 5900x for time saving.

When im moving the Timeline Marker through the gameplay footage of GTA 5 it's not buttery smooth at all, it lags a bit and I have to stretch the footage out in order to play back the footage in order to see what I want to cut out (no matter what you have to do this I know) but I've seen faster computers do this more efficiently, correct me if I am wrong.

Run this and post a LINK to the results page.

PC Benchmark

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
My brother is a video editor and I just upgraded his system from a core i7-6700k to a ryzen 9 3900x and add-in effects that used to take over an hour are done in 12-15 minutes. I’d say get at least a 3700x and preferably a 3900x or 5900x for time saving.
Alright good to know thanks!
Run this and post a LINK to the results page.

PC Benchmark

Here's the results of my PC:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47453976

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a bunch of background stuff also running, if that affected the UB test, guaranteed it's going to affect the video editing.

You have a Dell. There's only so much you can do with it. It runs a proprietary bios, so pretty much throw out the ability to upgrade to just Any cpu in 9th Gen, you'll only be able to upgrade to what the Dell bios allows. Which is generally only those cpus that come stock in that model line. Which also generally means no K-squ cpus.

Changing motherboards to fit Ryzen means you no longer have a Dell, so you'll need to buy a new registration for Windows. You 'might' be able to squeeze a 9700 non-K in there, but that's a long shot.

Dells were not intended to be upgraded. They feel if you wanted bigger, stronger, faster, they have more expensive models you could have purchased.

Solution

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015

Dells were not intended to be upgraded. They feel if you wanted bigger, stronger, faster, they have more expensive models you could have purchased.

I wasn't really thinking of upgrading my Dell, but thanks for the thought. I was thinking of building a whole new computer, for the reason why I was curious about Ryzen CPU's. Anyway, I just wanted to see what was possible and what's currently out there, thanks for the tips guys.

I currently have the (Dell Inspiron 3670) Core i5 9400 CPU which is 2.90Ghz, with 16GB's of RAM, and I also got the nVidia Geforce GTX 1660 6GB card.

Problem is, video editing lags a bit, so I'm looking for something faster. I use Premiere Elements 13.

What do you guys recommend changing?.

IS the
Intel Core i5-10400
a better CPU for the money?. it's only $280 right now lol.
What country are you located that the 10400 is going for $280?