Is the Samsung S24D390HL worth it ?

mitu1234

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I am planning to buy this monitor instead of dell u2312/u2412 as they have heavy AG Coat...but this samsung monitor is having lighter coating and will be good for game as less 5ms time...Is this a good choice for money and performance for day today work,movie and gaming

mitu1234

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

How good it is compared to dell u2412...Does both have same matte coat...or who has the lest coat ?

Personally speaking, here is how I see things:

IPS and PLS (Samsung) is great for very large monitors and when color accuracy and viewing angles are important. In those cases, higher than 60Mhz refresh rates are also not very important.

For gaming, the refresh rate (GTG) should be <5 milliseconds, and ideally 1-2 msec. Refresh rates as high as 144Mhz is great to prevent ghosting. and when higher frame rates are used. These values can only be achieved with TN panels at this time. That's a small price to pay for sitting near a very large monitor and having slightly irregular color since the viewing angle of TN panels are typically less than IPS/PLS.

I personally (and this has no justification) like to connect audio/video with HDMI, and computer monitors with either DisplayPort or DVI (Dual-link for high-res monitors).

I'm not a hard-core gamer (I prefer building PCs and writing code, etc.) :) so I also have 16:10 monitors and not 16:9 aspect ratio - my smallest monitor is 1680x1050 (23 incch) and my largest is 1920x1200 (24 inch). I care about how dense the pixels are and won't buy a large 27-inch screen with 1920x1080 - I can see the pixels! So when I go to larger screen sizes, I look for higher resolution. When the screen gets larger, my viewing angles increase and I may look for IPS/PLS.

Of the two monitors you mention, I'd go with the Samsung. It's response time is a lot better at 5ms.

Oh and as for anti-glare - all my monitors are matte - I hate the shiny screens and the glare that comes from them. Only consumers think the color vibrancy is better with bright screens. :)

mitu1234

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

The samsung monitor has a bad stand and light AG coating AND the DELL U2412 lookd great in every aspect exept it has thick AG coat...help me to choose the best ...My budget is $300 and i want good IPS/PLS monitor both for gaming and movie watching

mitu1234

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

I asked for IPS OR PSL ONLY...NOT ANY TN/VA PANEL....AND NOT ASUS AS IT COSTS HIGH IN INDIA AND NOT EASILY AVAILABLE