Question Is the Xeon E3-1230 compatible with the Dell Optiplex 790 ?

Alectrona

Great
Jan 15, 2024
So ive got a Dell Optiplex 790 Desktop PC. Looking at the cpu support page it says it supports up to an i7-2600 but I've seen people put in a Xeon E3-1230. Can someone confirm this works ? I am on the latest bios version.

The only real use for Userbenchmark is to see what BIOS revisions people are using for unsupported hardware, at least successfully enough to run the benchmark test. There are 110 reports of people using Xeons in Optiplex 790 systems, so presumably the microcode for Xeons is also included in the BIOS--which isn't unusual because they all come in a big blob from Intel so it's easier for the motherboard manufacturers to just put all of it in when flash is cheap enough to allow that.

Reactions: Alectrona

Alectrona

Great
Jan 15, 2024
The only real use for Userbenchmark is to see what BIOS revisions people are using for unsupported hardware, at least successfully enough to run the benchmark test. There are 110 reports of people using Xeons in Optiplex 790 systems, so presumably the microcode for Xeons is also included in the BIOS--which isn't unusual because they all come in a big blob from Intel so it's easier for the motherboard manufacturers to just put all of it in when flash is cheap enough to allow that.
Thanks, the list was helpful (y)