Question Is there a difference in speed between SATA 3 and SFF-8643 to 3 SATA cables?

Nov 24, 2023
I want to buy a 3 bay 5.25 inch to 3.5" hard drive hot swap backplane as shown here (click on the 2nd picture): Ali Express

I can get one that has three 6 Gbps Sata ports or a single SFF-8643 port to 3 sata cables. In the 3 bay backplane I will be transferring files from 1 hard drive to another in the backplane.

Will either method be quicker at transferring files than the other? I will be using these hard drives: Toshiba 14TB SATA 512e 256MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive - MG07ACA14TE

These drives are fairly cheap and I don't think they're particularly faster than normal consumer 7200RPM hard drives but if I'm wrong then please correct me.

I'm doing this in a consumer PC, not a server or enterprise environment.

Do I need any additional equipment such as an Host Bus Adapter card.to make the SFF-8643 cable work to it's full potential?

I want to buy a 3 bay 5.25 inch to 3.5" hard drive hot swap backplane as shown here (click on the 2nd picture): Ali Express

I can get one that has three 6 Gbps Sata ports or a single SFF-8643 port to 3 sata cables. In the 3 bay backplane I will be transferring files from 1 hard drive to another in the backplane.

Will either method be quicker at transferring files than the other? I will be using these hard drives: Toshiba 14TB SATA 512e 256MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive - MG07ACA14TE

These drives are fairly cheap and I don't think they're particularly faster than normal consumer 7200RPM hard drives but if I'm wrong then please correct me.

I'm doing this in a consumer PC, not a server or enterprise environment.

Do I need any additional equipment such as an Host Bus Adapter card.to make the SFF-8643 cable work to it's full potential?
It's just a cage for 3 swapable HDDs, Each bay has to be connected to SATA conection on the MB. and power to PSU by 2 Molex connectors. All works as if all drives are directly mounted in the case. Everything is done thru your OS.
PS.
If you want hot- swap to work, you have to enable it in BIOS.