[SOLVED] Is there a programmable EDID dummy DP plug? (headless display)

mattbar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I want to have a display port plug that runs in a custom resolution with custom timings.

I'm looking at these plugs on amazon for headless displays (a computer without a monitor), but they only support a list of resolutions. This is a problem because I'm trying to cast, and if I use a spare monitor as a dummy and it doesn't support the signal I created then the screen I'm trying to cast to will also be black. I assume this will be true while using one of these plugs.

I've never had one of these plugs though. If I create a custom resolution for one of these plugs will it have a "signal not supported" problem or will it accept anything within the DP limitations? If anybody owns one of these things maybe they could test this out for me.

Is there a product with a fully programmable EDID that will accept any signal within the DP boundaries? I think it's what I need

Solution

mattbar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
found my answer here incase anybody runs into this thread in the future

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B0732S6KG4

Can I use this to send my display to vr goggles?

Answer:

I think what you're getting at is "Can you mirror the output of the virtual screen in Bigscreen, Virtual Desktop, and VRToolbox?"

To that, the answer is Yes! If the resolutions provided on the device aren't enough (mine didn't come with 3840x2160@60Hz), you can add them with Custom Resolution Utility, provided your port can support the output.

This I what I bought it for anyway. see less

Torzi
· March 8, 2019

Solution