Question Is there a way to check if a laptop charger is legit or not?

peti0127

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
Ss after losing my laptop charger I bought a new one off Amazon. It looks like the old one, even same characteristics. But the connector on the block is covered in dirt. It charges my laptop, but I don't know if it really delivers 120W or not.

Is there a way to check it?

This is how it looks like: https://prnt.sc/os62tu

LOL! Wot?!?!

Is it taped together too???

Was it used? Bought from a third party? I wouldn't even bother trying it. Looks like someone else's garbage.

A NEW power brick should look NEW and come in a box.

The only way to know if a PSU is able to deliver full power is if you have a load tester. Since most people don't have $5000+ load testers sitting around the house, odds are you can't test it.

Aug 1, 2019
The connector looks rusted or something like that, I wouldn't connect a laptop to it and a new charger shouldn't be taped like that. I have seen a pretty worrying (yet definitely not common) amount of reviews on Amazon where people get a tech product and it's obviously used or third party.

peti0127

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
Well I need a charger from tomorrow on because we go on vacation, so I looked at the charger. The stuff on it is just dirt, no corrosion/rust, easy enough to clean (it was only on the plastic, not on metal). It charges the laptop fine, it's not as fast as the original Asus charger but is about 85% of the speed. I'm now stress testing it to see if it really delivers 120W or not. If not I'll send it back.

EDIT: It delivers, I think it's good enough to play games while on vacation

Last edited: