Is there a way to force applications to write into specific folders?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 22, 2018
Hello there, as title says I would really like to know if there is a way to do that. I'm planning to force a game and steam to write in some specific folder so that I can easily backup/save my data. Thanks in advance for help.

Feb 22, 2018

Oh got it, that's why it looked different, thanks for clarifyin that. Which area on the hardrive is it really located tough? It's important i know that since i'm using 2 different drives

gardenman

Splendid
If you using the MKLINK command the files are located in their original place.
They are not moved. The link only makes a "fake" folder where the files can be accessed.

If you are using that Steam program then the files are probably moved to the new location. The old location is where the link is actually created.

Most programs just create a link in a NEW location therefore not touching the original location of the files. The Steam program is different. It moves the files first. Then creates a link in the old location.

Therefore, it depends on how the link is created and with what program.

Feb 22, 2018

Well I already used that program steammover, so the new files are in that location alone, correct?

USAFRet

Titan

The old Steammover function is just mklink, under a fancy GUI.
The current Steam procedure actually moves the files to a different physical location/drive.

Feb 22, 2018

Which function? I tough steam could only move games, which i'm not planning to do.