Is there a way to force my PC to not throttle my CPU down?

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
I have an AMD FX-8350 stock @ 4.0GHz, but out of nowhere, it just throttles down to 1.4 GHz. It is not overheating, i'm sitting at around 30-40c when this happens. It causes me to drop from 200 fps+ to like 30 fps in games, which is obviously quite a massive drop. I know it is supposed to throttle for certain reasons, but it isn't overheating so i can't possibly think of why it would be wanting to throttle. Because of this, i'm wanting to just force it to not throttle at all.

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

I have an ASUSTeK M5A78L-M/USB3. Any suggestions to fix this? I've had this motherbaord and cpu for probably around a year now, and the issue only appeared about a month ago.

bignastyid

Titan

Your VRMs are likely giving up the ghost as they have been overloaded for around a year now. WIth a weak(4+1) uncooled VRM setup I'm surprised it took this long to start having issues. Best option is to replace it with a motherboard with atleast a 6+2 VRM setup with a 8+2 being preferred.

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

That really sucks, i was told by many people (not on this site but some friends who are great with computers) that this mobo and cpu/gpu combo and the parts in my pc would work perfectly fine together. I HAVE recently upgraded my heatsink, if that could have done anything. there was one game (rust) that would cause my cpu to hit temps of around 70c so i upgraded my cooler, and now my temps are always 100% fine but i get this random throttling

EDIT: Also, sorry i'm not too literate on computer parts and such, what exactly is the VRM?
ANOTHER EDIT: Saw on a post on a different forum that they went into their BIOS and turned off the Q-Fan function, could this help at all?

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

Gotcha, so is it 100% that i need to get a new motherboard? I added an edit you may not have seen, isaw a post on another forum that someone had turned off the Q-Fan function in their BIOS and their random throttling and frame drops had gone away. If it is 100% the motherboard, that sucks but, at least i nkow that problem. could you reccomend a motherboard to purchase if so?

Mojazz

Notable
May 11, 2017
Wait a minute here! An 8350. Just chilling at 30 to 40 C. when gaming? That does not sound right. That would be a super low temp for that CPU at idle. Something is not being reported correctly here.

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

Highest i've gone is 56C,lowest is 30C. the 30 was idle, 56 is mid game in overwatch, currently in a 1v1 in overwatch not shooting or anything, sitting at 44c. i have a pretty good cooler though to be fair

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

So, the motherboard is causing the CPU voltage to go down, thus making the power go down? Idk much bout computers so i'm kinda just spitballing i guess.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Voltage regulator module. It steps down the voltage, typically 12V, so that the CPU, which requires a lot fewer volts, can use it. On a 125W CPU chip, especially one that's very sensitive to poor voltage regulation, the more robust these converters are and the better they're cooled, the more stable the CPU will be. This motherboard is a budget motherboard using the older 760G chipset that wasn't really built for FX, but was kind retrofit to work with it. Which leaves a problem with these cheaper boards, even when they officially support a 125W CPU rather than the better recommended 95W CPUs for this purpose - companies really pushed what "supported" means with 125W CPUs.

Suffice it to say, asking here would have been best, but there's little help that does you at this point. Your best option here is to choose a cooler that can blowdown and try to get around the technological limitations. Better AM3+ motherboards, which means 990FX and a handful of 970, will have a greater number of VRMs and they'll very frequently have heatsinks.

As noted, this could also be a straight-up motherboard or power supply issue. Issues with voltage regulation on a junky PSU can make things even tougher for the VRMs, exacerbating an already difficult scenario.

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

yeah i'm just wondering why it was fine for so long and out of nowhere poof. Like is aid, ihad temp problems so i got a new cooler, and since i got the new cooler this has been happening a lot. could that have anything to do with it? or just coincedence

Mojazz

Notable
May 11, 2017
You seem to have a voltage regulation problem here with v core drops and the like. Either the motherboard is faulty or your power supply is deficient in providing a consistent voltage. I hate to say it.......... we can not give you 100 percent certainty it is the motherboard and not the power supply.

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
i have my pc plugged into a power strip, which has a surge protector, but there was a time a couple months ago i was hit by a weirdddddd power surge that made my pc turn on and off around 6 or 7 tiumes within 10 seconds, so apparently the surge protector failed or something, is there a chance this messed with the PSU and just over a short amount of time after that it just has been failing to give the power? What everyone is saying about the motherboard makes sense that it would be that but that is something that happened as well

bignastyid

Titan

That cooler isn't going to to help the VRMs as those tower coolers, like the 212, direct air away from the VRMs and so they run hotter. On a board such as this you need to run a heatsink with a top down cooler design(like the stock cooler or a Raijintek Pallas) to help keep the VRMs cool.

Mojazz

Notable
May 11, 2017
I just thought of the tough decision facing you. Would you really want to upgrade components in an aging system. An Asus Sabretooth motherboard , would be an excellent choice to keep your current system up and running . Would you really want to pay for that expensive board or move on to the newer platforms out right now? It could still be your power supply. How much cash do you want to continue to invest in this system chasing problems?

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

i mean, i'm not chasing problems, i am trying to fix them lmao

Donplonex

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

Could you suggest me a board sub $200, that can support the fx8350 and gtx960, but also be able to properly use the evo 212? Or should i just switch back to my stock cooler? I had issues with temps on some games using it but