[SOLVED] Is there a way to have G-Synch enabled for some games, but not for others, avoiding to manually turning it on/off each time?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Good day,

I've just gone over this article here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/v-sync-free-sync-g-sync-adaptive-sync-and-fast-sync.2969831/

Quick copy/paste of what I needed to know from there:

Capture.png

Webp-net-resizeimage-1.png

....as well as I went over some google finds when it comes to G-Synch ON vs OFF for certain games and it is now fairly clear to me that you must have g-synch off for competitive gaming especially if you want to get highier FPS, right? I guess I should have it off for any competitive game, but then need to have it ON for other single player games I play if I want to enjoy the enviroment more. Is that how people do it as long as u get your over 60fps in other games with it ON?

Since my main FPS(s) are CS:GO and Valorant im sure i'd better keep it off especially that I play CS on 4:3 res anyway even on this monitor that I recently got: "ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM 24.5” Monitor, 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080), Fast IPS, 280Hz (Supports 144Hz), G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, 1ms, DisplayHDR™ 400, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI " and I've enabled 280hz on it as well as in control panel and windows and my pc is: i7 9700k - Nvidia RTX 2070 - LPX DDR4 2666 C16 2x16GB - cyberpower desktop with a poor asrock cheap motherboard.

This brings me to my main question is there a way to tell the system / nvidia that I want to have a permanent exception for CS:GO where I want it to have G-Synch disabled for it by default, so that I dint have to turn it off each time I wanted to play CS and then after finishing playing CS go back and turn it back ON if I wanted to play some other non-competitive title for a better enjoyement, and then back off again if i decided to play a bit more of CS that day etc? Is there such a way, or does everyone manually turn it on/off? Just looking for other people's experiences with it.

Thank you

Solution
Thank you, but im not sure what exactly to turn off there.

I see these options that mention gsynch or synch in a way under program settings:

Capture.png
+

Capture.png

The monitored technology one above has 3 settings in drop down: the one that's highlight in yellow now, then it has G-Synch compatible and Fixed Refresh. I dont know if i need to do anything with this one if I want G-Synch off for CS:GO.

...and I see this g-synch option under global settings and it has only two options in drop down, it say Fixed Refresh (whatever that means) and G-Synch Compatible, which is what's currently selected as per below image and now im not sure what...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Manage 3D Settings and then the tab to set in individual programs. Then go into Monitor Technology.

Are you on the competitive level at which you're competing for thousands or even millions of dollars? If not, it's kinda pointless to do this.

....as well as I went over some google finds when it comes to G-Synch ON vs OFF for certain games and it is now fairly clear to me that you must have g-synch off for competitive gaming especially if you want to get highier FPS, right? I guess I should have it off for any competitive game, but then need to have it ON for other single player games I play if I want to enjoy the enviroment more. Is that how people do it as long as u get your over 60fps in other games with it ON?
G-Sync doesn't limit FPS and it automatically turns off if performance exceeds the refresh rate. The only thing limiting frame rate once performance exceeds the refresh rate is double buffered V-Sync (triple buffered V-Sync just limits what you see to the last rendered frame, but allows the GPU to render as fast as it can).

Also play around with the settings before going with whatever some people say is "best." And honestly, things like these aren't going to matter if you're not already a high level player anyway.

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Manage 3D Settings and then the tab to set in individual programs. Then go into Monitor Technology.

Are you on the competitive level at which you're competing for thousands or even millions of dollars? If not, it's kinda pointless to do this.

I see these options that mention gsynch or synch in a way under program settings:

Capture.png
+

Capture.png

The monitored technology one above has 3 settings in drop down: the one that's highlight in yellow now, then it has G-Synch compatible and Fixed Refresh. I dont know if i need to do anything with this one if I want G-Synch off for CS:GO.

...and I see this g-synch option under global settings and it has only two options in drop down, it say Fixed Refresh (whatever that means) and G-Synch Compatible, which is what's currently selected as per below image and now im not sure what option deactivates g-synch, so that when i launch CS its deactivated by default.

Capture.png

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
G-Sync doesn't limit FPS and it automatically turns off if performance exceeds the refresh rate. The only thing limiting frame rate once performance exceeds the refresh rate is double buffered V-Sync (triple buffered V-Sync just limits what you see to the last rendered frame, but allows the GPU to render as fast as it can).

Also play around with the settings before going with whatever some people say is "best." And honestly, things like these aren't going to matter if you're not already a high level player anyway.

Cool, thanks ill keep in mind. Ya, I've been playing CS since 2000, v1.0 of CS if I remember correctly, but am obviously not going for pro, and dont play often, getting old now, but when i do paly i always want to get any possible advantage i can get, i dont play that game for fun, play to win, mostly playing competitive 5x5 matches, did esea, faceit before etc, no casual waste of time matches etc, so to me I dont care bout graphics or sharpness, I have my settings set fine in the game already to what they should be for the best possible performance, thats all fine, i was just new to that g-synch thingy on the new monitor i got and lots of ppl were saying should be turned off for cs, as i just care bout the raw competitive advantage, highier fps, and all the rest of it that any competitive person would want to have, so i guess now that you said it doesnt affect fps, I guess il might re-consider turning it off, but dont know, i guess ill try it out with and without, i havent even tried it yet, and take it from there :) Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Capture.png
+

Capture.png

...and I see this g-synch option under global settings and it has only two options in drop down, it say Fixed Refresh (whatever that means) and G-Synch Compatible, which is what's currently selected as per below image and now im not sure what option deactivates g-synch, so that when i launch CS its deactivated by default.

Capture.png

G-Sync is variable refresh. Turning it off means that the refresh rate of the monitor is fixed.

Solution