Question is there a way to install WINDOWS PRO (replacing the home version) without having to reinstall everything again?

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
i have sent the pc to a tech to repair motherboard but unfortunately he installed the WINDOWS 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE version instead of windows pro.

i requested a BACKUP of the system and the tech did it

My question is if it possible to replace windows HOME by the PRO VERSION without having to reinstall all programs again and WITHOUT AN UNITENTIONAL FORMATTING OF THE PC. Since i want to preserve the files and memory of the pc.

maybe i should send the pc to a tech again ?

i have the impression that the pro edition is vastrly superior to the home edition. is this correct or its just slightly superior ?

thanks.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
HDD memory

Just curious, but what is this "HDD memory" you speak of ?

Anyways, as stated in the instructions linked to above, if you have a W10Pro license key (or plan to buy one), all you have to do is go into the settings app and change the key (and maybe reboot the machine), which will change the OS version to Pro but leave everything else intact...

Been there, done that, many times :)

The only time this gets a little tricky is if the home edition is an OEM version that originally came with the machine & is therefore linked to it's hardware, but that's a whole nutha can 'o worms...

And yes, there are a few features in the Pro version that are not available in Home, but it's a short list and are only applicable if you have a need for them and/or know how to use them...

If you feel the need to take the machine to a "tech" for this, you have 2 options IMHO:

A) Take it back to the idiot that screwed it up, and DEMAND they fix it AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to you, OR

B) Find anutha tech that actually knows what they are doing, get an invoice from them, and then take said invoice to Mr. A above and DEMAND reimbursement for the additional charges you had to pay due to their incompetence.... (this would be my 1st choice BTW)

USAFRet

Titan
  1. That shop is incompetent. Why did they install a different OS than what was on it?
  2. A Win 10 Home install can be upgraded directly to Win 10 Pro, with no loss of anything, simply by entering a valid Win 10 Pro license. It works on itself for a couple of minutes, reboots, then poof....Win 10 Pro.
  3. Your shop technicians should know this.
  4. Backups - This should be done by YOU, and all the time. Not just when you take it in tot he shop.
  5. See #1.
  6. You should always have a known good backup of everything, including the OS.

Reactions: Exploding PSU

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
Just curious, but what is this "HDD memory" you speak of ?

Anyways, as stated in the instructions linked to above, if you have a W10Pro license key (or plan to buy one), all you have to do is go into the settings app and change the key (and maybe reboot the machine), which will change the OS version to Pro but leave everything else intact...

The only time this gets a little tricky is if the home edition is an OEM version that originally came with the machine & is

I mean the hard disk memory. to avoid formatting the pc by mistake or having to reinstall all programs.

i bought the windows 7 ultimate version and i have the CD KEY of it. will it work for the windows 10 pro version ?

USAFRet

Titan
I mean the hard disk memory. to avoid formatting the pc by mistake or having to reinstall all programs.

i bought the windows 7 ultimate version and i have the CD KEY of it. will it work for the windows 10 pro version ?
Did the system have WIN 10 Pro on it before the techs got hold of it?

Where did this "windows 7 ultimate " license come from? An Ultimate license is almost certainly bogus on some level.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
Did the system have WIN 10 Pro on it before the techs got hold of it?

Where did this "windows 7 ultimate " license come from? An Ultimate license is almost certainly bogus on some level.

im sure the windows 7 is legit. the cd key worked for windows 10 too.

what will happen if the windows 10 before was home and not pro ?

if i buy the pro version now will it work if i did not have the pro version before ?

USAFRet

Titan
im sure the windows 7 is legit. the cd key worked for windows 10 too.
A Windows 7 Ultimate license originally sold for $399, IIRC.
And has not been sold by Microsoft in several years.

"legit" is up for discussion.

But...do you have the original Win 10 Pro license this system had?
If so, simply applying that to a Win 10 Home install would seamlessly upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

But given the antics of this "repair shop", I'd personally do a full wipe and reinstall. No telling what they actually installed or where it came from.

But that's just me.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
A Windows 7 Ultimate license originally sold for $399, IIRC.
And has not been sold by Microsoft in several years.

"legit" is up for discussion.

But...do you have the original Win 10 Pro license this system had?
If so, simply applying that to a Win 10 Home install would seamlessly upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

But given the antics of this "repair shop", I'd personally do a full wipe and reinstall. No telling what they actually installed or where it came from.

But that's just me.

i only bought windows 7 final 2 or 3 years ago.

if i buy a new windows 10 pro version now, will the update work ?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
i have the impression that the pro edition is vastrly superior to the home edition. is this correct or its just slightly superior ?
And no, Win 10 Pro is NOT vastly superior to Win 10 Home?
Performance is exactly the same. Just that WIN 10 Pro includes some extra features that Home does not.

If you've not needed them until now, you don't need them.
Leave it at Home.

USAFRet

Titan
yes. it is shown in microsoft account.
Then leave it as is.

As said, Win 10 Pro does not give you any real benefits.

Differences:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
"Windows 10 Pro includes all features of Windows 10 Home, with additional capabilities that are oriented towards professionals and business environments, such as Active Directory, Remote Desktop, BitLocker, Hyper-V, and Windows Defender Device Guard."

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
Then leave it as is.

As said, Win 10 Pro does not give you any real benefits.

Differences:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
"Windows 10 Pro includes all features of Windows 10 Home, with additional capabilities that are oriented towards professionals and business environments, such as Active Directory, Remote Desktop, BitLocker, Hyper-V, and Windows Defender Device Guard."

but if i buy the pro version, will the update work?

thanks for the help and sorry for the extensive post. its just that the tech really messed up.

USAFRet

Titan
but if i buy the pro version, will the update work?

thanks for the help and sorry for the extensive post. its just that the tech really messed up.
1. Yes, the tech person screwed up. Badly and completely.

2. Yes, if you purchase a VALID WIN 10 Pro license, it should update seamlessly. Key word - Should.
$140-$200 for a REAL Win 10 Pro license.

3. You almost certainly do not need Win 10 Pro. You'll see zero performance benefit.

4. You need to institute your own backup plan.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
You need to institute your own backup plan.

why ? is the update dangerous for the data/memory?

if it is, then i will have to go to technician again because im not sure how to do a proper backup.

im interested in windows pro because i will have to reinstall the programs anyway. hence its better to start with a good windows version.