Question Is there a way to measure the amount of ink required to print a page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Is there a way to measure the amount of ink required to print a page? (Before Printing)

Hi All,
I and my friend are planning to partner a DTP Centre (Desktop Publishing)

Printing a text page is okay but I know that some of our future customers will surely bring large pictures or logos to print.

I have decided to have a special quote for that kind of multimedia printing... Inks are costly. Please Help. Thank You.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

D

Deleted member 14196

If you’re gonna run a business you should use color laser and black and white laser where appropriate. Because the cost of ink is going to drive you out a business

Reactions: Grobe

USAFRet

Titan
You should have both laser and inkjet printers available.
Inkjet only for those things that NEED high quality photographic printing.

The manufacturer can probably give an estimate of how many full sheet color the carts will do.

What do your local competitors charge for the same service?

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
You should have both laser and inkjet printers available.
Inkjet only for those things that NEED high quality photographic printing.

The manufacturer can probably give an estimate of how many full sheet color the carts will do.

What do your local competitors charge for the same service?
For Black and white:
They charge 5 Bucks for both images and text.
For Colour:
They charge 25 for both images and text

I wanna change that trend:
Just 2 bucks for text and
5 Bucks or Proportional price for the images and all...

Toner/Ink cartridges have a yield of pages on them, usually based on a certain percentage of coverage (say 5% of the page). If you do prints with 10% of the page, then expect the yield to be half, and so on. Full color poster printing will be quite a bit more ink used up vs something like a presentation where the coverage of the ink is less.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you def want to be sure you use a printer with the multiple color cartridges. this way whatever color gets used more gets replaced more. those single ones will need to be replaced even if only one of the colors is out. obviously this wastes a ton of money.

if you are printing things in mass, then you need to be looking into more than simple desktop printers. it is WAY more economical to print 100 copies on an printer designed for it than to try it on your $100 printer you got at Office max.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"For Black and white:
For Colour:

5 Bucks or Proportional price for the images and all..."

Commendable that you want to change the trend.

However, there are countless numbers of now non-existent small businesses that tried the same thing.

If your pricing is too low you will not be able to meet expenses.

You need to do a Breakeven Analysis. Your expenses may force you to charge even more than your competitors.

Especially if you want to make a profit and grow the business.

USAFRet

Titan
For Black and white:
For Colour:

5 Bucks or Proportional price for the images and all...
You wish to undercut your competition by 80%?

You really really really need to run some numbers on this.
Talk to printer suppliers in your market. Both the hardware and the ink/toner.

If continuously in search for the perfect sweet spot on all documents to find the setting that always makes minimal amount of ink, then I'd say in a couple of years of printing, you have probably tossed away several kilograms of paper because of mis-prints caused by some of the printouts used so thin lines that it isn't readable and you have to adjust and then print it out a second time.

That way, there is no real saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.