[SOLVED] is there a way to move windows 10 to another drive without moving data from the original drive?

Jan 26, 2020
ive had my pc since 2015-2016 (kinda forgot) and its been running really slowly, ive tried many methods and none of them have worked, my final resort is just factory resetting, but i dont have the windows install disc and i want to keep the data from my secondary drive. any help?

edit: my harddrive is 1tb and my ssd is 500gb so i cant move the entire harddrive.

Last edited:
Solution
windows 10 home, rx 480 graphics card, 8 gigs of ram and the 2 drives i mentioned are my specs, and would i need to buy a new copy of windows if i do the usb thing?
Get a 8GB or larger USB flash drive.
Go to -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Click the Download tool now under Create Windows 10 installation media app.
Insert USB flash drive.
Run the media creation tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC.
Choose your language, Windows edition and architecture (64-bit) for Windows 10.
Select the USB flash and click Next.
Windows installation media app will download and create the installation disk. Click Finish.

As suggested disconnect the 1TB disk.

Boot from the USB...
ive had my pc since 2015-2016 (kinda forgot) and its been running really slowly, ive tried many methods and none of them have worked, my final resort is just factory resetting, but i dont have the windows install disc and i want to keep the data from my secondary drive. any help?
Could you provide your system specifications or model number.
Which OS does the system have?
You could create a USB installation media by downloading the OS (Windows 8 &10) from Microsoft website.

Jan 26, 2020
windows 10 home, rx 480 graphics card, 8 gigs of ram and the 2 drives i mentioned are my specs, and would i need to buy a new copy of windows if i do the usb thing?

Oct 10, 2019
unplug the harddrive before installing windows 10 fresh on the ssd,
make sure the ssd is the first thing in the boot order (do this through bios)
use microsofts website to turn your usb into a install device https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
this is free

edit: if your HDD isn't using all of the 1000 GB's, and you have 500 or less GB on the HDD you can clone your HDD to your SSD using "Macrium Reflect"

Get a 8GB or larger USB flash drive.
Go to -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Click the Download tool now under Create Windows 10 installation media app.
Insert USB flash drive.
Run the media creation tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC.
Choose your language, Windows edition and architecture (64-bit) for Windows 10.
Select the USB flash and click Next.
Windows installation media app will download and create the installation disk. Click Finish.

As suggested disconnect the 1TB disk.

Boot from the USB installation disk.
On the "Windows Setup," click the Next button.
Click the Install now button.
On the Activation window, click I don't have a product key option click Next (Windows will activate when online).
Select the edition of Windows 10 that matches the one on your PC and click the Next button.
Select the I accept the license terms option to continue.
Click on the Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) option.
Select and delete all partitions on the SSD. Until you are left with Drive 0 Unallocated Space
Select the empty drive (Drive 0 Unallocated Space) and click the Next button.
The setup will proceed with a fresh installation of Windows 10.

Solution