Is there a way to pause F@H based on CPU core temps?

biggerhammer

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
I live in Texas, where temperatures commonly reach over 100F (that's 38C for you civilized folks). I generally run Folding at Home, but with summer temperatures I've been seeing thermal shutdowns so I had to stop using the program.

I'd really like to run Folding at Home; I generally leave the computer running and I like the thought that my electricity is going towards a cause, instead of just rewarding my impatience so that any time I want to Google something I don't have to wait through a boot cycle.

CPUID tells me that without F@H I generally see core temps in the low 30's. With F@H running, core temps are in the high 40s - not dangerous but higher than I like. The motherboard sensor under the CPU scorches along in the sixties (!) with the program running, or around fifty at idle.

What I'd like would be an automatic way to ping the CPU, decide whether or not the temperature was in an acceptable range, and run or stop F@H based on the temperature. it'd be even better if there were a more granular way to do it, so that I could have the machine (for instance) run F@H on low settings if the CPU were at 50C, high settings if the CPU were at 40C, etc.

My (elderly) hardware:

• ■ Gigabyte ga 970a ds3p
    ■ And phenom ii x6 1075t 3.0Ghz 6 core, standard voltage and speeds
    ■ CoolerMaster heatsink with 2x120mm fan, recently cleaned and reslathered with Arctic Silver 5
    ■ 16 g ram
    ■ 2 x Xfx r7800 series graphics- 7850 double d hd 2gb Ghost thermal technology, with an extra 120 resting on top of the GPUs (which used to run in the eighties and nineties under Fallout 4, not stay in the sixties at 60fps, with FPS dropping into the thirties under heavier demand).
    ■ 800 watt psu
    ■ Case is a 4U rackmount case, open for extra airflow.