Question Is there a way to test an Ethernet switch? My Internet is down after a storm.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
This is the problem with modern electronics and the companies that basically want you to buy something new from them rather than fix it. They to a point fear that if they make thing easy to fix they will sell less product. Then again unless it is something simple the costs for the equipment that would let you remove and replace surface mounted chips is going to be more than most device itself. This also assumes you do not have to pay someone who has the skills to actually use this fancy equipment required to fix it. There are very few actual repair shops that can fix a circuit board rather than just swap it out. The guy that spent all the time learning how to repair stuff wants to be paid for his knowledge and many times it is more than the device is worth.

This is where you spend the time to see if you can get lucky and find the problem yourself. A large magnifying glass and bright light might let you see something burned on the board. A simple multimeter will let you test for voltages and look for common issues like shorted out capacitors and burned out fuses. This all depends on how much you have done. I am bias since i have a master degree in EE and have always messed around with old and broken equipment just as a hobby.

Trying to find used parts is always a gamble. For things like projectors you likely want to find ones where they are physcially damaged which would destroy the optics or look for ones people say the color is wrong or something else that makes you think it at least powered on.